Headphone Questions

So recently i broke my headphones and I've been wanting to get a new pair.
I've narrowed my search down to 2 pairs. > http://amzn.to/14augrt or http://amzn.to/19hjqnV
My old pair of headphones had a mic on it and as you can see the rhythms has a built in mic.
But I'm worried that if i go with the rhythms the listening quality wont be as good as the Soul's.
I'm also wondering how headphone amplifiers work, might be the solution to my concern about the rhythms.
Not sure if audio amplifiers would work with them though as they are wireless.
If you could help me with this i would be very grateful.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either of those. As a general rule, band/artist branded headsets focus way too much on being cool and way too little on being quality. I'd look for something from Sennheiser, Audio Technica, HiFiMan, AKG, Beyerdynamic, or similar - that is, focus on companies that make audio equipment, not companies/groups/people that make audio. Now, I admit, I've not looked into Soul or Rhythms, but I can only assume they compete with beats which means overblown bass and muddy everything else with no high end to speak of. Inline Microphones are also a bit overrated, unless you want to run these as a headset on your phone and be able to take calls - otherwise, a cheap desktop mic and a nice headset will generally end up being a much better setup for the money than an integrated solution.

As far as amplifiers go, they generally only matter on high impedance headphones. Some of the higher end sets take so much power to drive that an average ipod type device just doesn't run them too well. A basic amplifier isn't going to make the sound quality significantly better, though they can reduce noise. Generally though, using a quality file (mp3 320 and up, generally, or anything lossless) and audio player in the first place should minimize noise.

Between the two you've selected though, I'd take the souls, because wireless is an evil thing, for both sound quality, and your stash of batteries. Plus it's one more thing to go wrong. It's bad enough when the batteries run out on your audio player - it's even worse when your audio player is charged, but you can't listen anyway because your headphones are dead.

Back