Hard drive and Laptop screen

designer noob

Hey, I just bought a laptop which had a screen and harddrive in it for 5 dollars. I was wondering can you use the screen for portablizing? Also, is it easy to take the 20-30gig harddrive solder on a usb connector and use it like a flash drive?

Congrats, you have asked the most noobish question in history. No, you cannot use laptop screens!!! Not easily, at least.

I don't believe a hard drive can run off of USB without a special circuit... Just get a USB external hard drive enclosure.

why not for instance if I ever decided to make a xbox laptop of something couldn't I use the screen from it? Aren't those the screens you are suppose to use?

designer noob said:
why not for instance if I ever decided to make a xbox laptop of something couldn't I use the screen from it? Aren't those the screens you are suppose to use?

FACEPALM *SMASH SMASH*

YOU CANNOT USE LAPTOP SCREENS!

This is like the most asked noob question, please read the screen information thread!

Well, that really sucks so, far. Does any one know the special circuit or if one is really needed to add a usb connector onto a harddrive?

Good job, XCVG. I didn't want to be too mean, but you've done it for me. :D

Sorry nevermind. Just get a computer monitor on eBay, I believe XBOX has a vga out or something compatible...

Yes, that is what you need to do it. A 2.5" external enclosure. You can get them at bestbuy I think... :dah:

If your hard drive is SATA you need an SATA enclosure, if it is IDE you need an IDE enclosure. Very few enclosures do both.

Also, there is a way to use a laptop screen, if it is a specific type. Unfortunately nobody seems to have the device anymore, but it was like $300 anyway.

I am taking apart the laptop now and seeing what it it.

I also, bought 6 fans, millions of heatsinks pieces, and lots of pc boards and I think processors and ram for like 5 bucks

designer noob said:
I have an intel I486 SX processor
intel pentium w/mmx tech
intel pentium III
and a lot more

Are they worth anything?
not mch, assumig they even work and are in goodcondition. pentiums are so lame. nowadys, peple ont buy anything with less thatn a core 2 duo, let alone just the processor.

I took apart the latop.

There was a 40gb hard drive- Ata/IDE. My hard drive on this computer is SATA, will it read this one still?
A 14.4v 4000mah battery
Speakers
nice keyboard if I ever make a laptop
and a fan

This was everything worth keeping at least.

designer noob said:
I have an intel I486 SX processor
intel pentium w/mmx tech
intel pentium III
and a lot more

Are they worth anything?

The i486 SX might be worth something to a collector, but it's otherwise worthless, especially since it's the SX version. The Pentium MMX might be worth something to a collector as well. The P3 is a lot more useful but worthless to collectors, so I recommend you keep it.

Uh no you can totally like 100% all the way just solder a USB cable to your hard drive. Just solder the 5VDC first pin to the first pin on the hard drive connector, the ground 4th pin to the last connector, and the 2nd and 3rd pins to the 14th and 15th pins. This will totally work entirely and in no way won't work!

Back