HandyDuo - lovablechevy's first portable - finished!

lovablechevy

*edit for those who aren't aware. i did not work on this constantly for the 2+ years. it sat in storage for well over 1 year of that time. probably closer to 1.5 years. the remainder of it i worked on and off on it. all in all, this probably took me a max of 6 months to do. and that was only due to coming across many issues, like not measuring properly.

ok, guys. it's finally done. :)

174-sumpermariorpg2.jpg

specs:
system - retroduo (both nes & snes sides)
batteries - 2 3.7v li-ion 4250 mAh (i've not had time to test battery life yet)
case - frankencased zn-40 & retroduo housing
screen - psone screen modded with 6 leds
controller - cut up retroduo controller
random tidbits - snes led changed from red to pink; case has custom made decals; uses a switching regulator to get the 5v more effectively for system; both cart slots are parallel with the case

i'm not sure how to have videos show here, so you're just gonna get links.

detailed description
quick description
showing both sides working
first level of starfox

if you are interested, here is the build thread and the link to all the pics i took.

and yes, i do know that the green nes led has stopped working. i didn't realize till just a bit ago. i believe it's fixed now.

a few measurements of the system:

weight of system - 2 lbs 2.4 ounces
weight of system with both games - 2 lbs 9.6 ounces
thickness - 2 5/8"
height with just nes game - 5 7/8"
height with the snes game - 7"

yes, it is a bit large and a bit hefty. but, it's mine and it's done and it looks nice. :) :mrgreen:

This looks awesome, especially the logo under the screen.

Also, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yeah Super Mario RPG!

Extremely polished! I could go on and on about all those awesome details (original power switch, decals, leds, etc). This portable is amazing.

thanks, guys. :)

for those who were wondering: i bought decal paper from this site. it comes with instructions on how to apply it. basically, i bought the ink jet waterslide paper in clear & white (depending on what i'm applying it to). i make the decals (i originally used gimp, photoshop works great, paint not so much...) and print them off. after the ink is good and dry, you use krylon clear coat 3-4 times. after that is good and dry, you cut the decals out, and put in clean cool water for 45-60 seconds. then, the decal will slide off it's backing, and you place it where you desire. after you have them placed, and they have dried well, you are supposed to do 3-4 coats of krylon clear coat to make sure you don't accidentally scratch it off.

they can be a little tricky to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast.

Nice! Not one of those tiny portables, but you can't argue with the polish and NES/SNES combo capability.

Back