[GUIDE] Xbox without DVD Drive

Harshboy

It is entirely possible to replace the DVD Drive with a Hard Drive, CF Card, or simply -- nothing!

I'm going to give an example of how you can acomplish to replace (or rid of) the Xbox's DVD Drive. Normally, the Xbox would throw a fit if you try to turn it on without the DVD Drive (Usually in the form of Error 12). Well, lets change that.

What you need to do is bridge Pin 5 and 6 to Ground and supply 3.3v to Pin 7 on the DVD Drive Power Cable (The connector where the yellow cable plugs into). Now if you simply wanted to have no DVD Drive, you're done here.

However, if you want to replace the DVD Drive with something like a Hard Drive or removable storage such as CF cards, continue reading!

After you do that, get a Molex Splitter and connect the IDE and Molex cables to the appropiate ports on the hard drive or whatever else you may be trying to put in place of the DVD Drive. Now the Xbox will always think that the drive is closed and it will be able to read the new drive if you have a modded Xbox and an appropriate way to access the files on the drive via a File Browser. It should show up as the D:/ Drive in any Dashboard.

Don't blame me if you screw something up or it doesn't work.

XboxDVDFool.png

That's pretty cool, but what about replacing the XBOX drive with a normal DVD-ROM drive? I'm asking because I'm worried that my XBOX drive might quit. Is it supposed to eject the disc several times before finally reading it?

XCVG said:
That's pretty cool, but what about replacing the XBOX drive with a normal DVD-ROM drive? I'm asking because I'm worried that my XBOX drive might quit. Is it supposed to eject the disc several times before finally reading it?

That is possible. And I have never seen such acts by the DVD Drive. What kind do you have? If it sucks it's most likely a Thompson Drive.

My friend replaced his flaxty Thompson Drive with a Generic Samsung DVD Drive for PC. I'm not sure if it needs to be a specific model, but it is possible!

There was a guy on BH who was asking about using a cf card as removable storage. Do you think you could do the same with an SD -> IDE convertor? If so I know it would be slow, but I wouldn't really want to ftp everything onto my xbox. I don't have any ethernet ports that are easily accessible.

zeturi said:
There was a guy on BH who was asking about using a cf card as removable storage. Do you think you could do the same with an SD -> IDE convertor? If so I know it would be slow, but I wouldn't really want to ftp everything onto my xbox. I don't have any ethernet ports that are easily accessible.

Actually, the guy over on Benheck was asking for a SD to Xbox DVD Drive Converter. I don't know if that would work or not, but your welcome to try it ;)

Will definitely give it a try, just need to get about $100 for some various parts for my xbox.

I've just started playing with an xbox a month ago, and am amazed how good the graphics are for the system. I played a bit of Splinter Cell: Pandora Theory and suprised at how good it looks.

I really want to mod my xbox into a slimbox, and if I can pull this off, then I probably won't use the ethernet port for anything. Thanks for posting this!

Back