good replacement capacitors for nes?

themadhacker

Crazy Train
I accidentally destroyed one of my capacitors on my nes, and others of the same value are leaking, so I have decided to replace them. The ceramic capacitors only say 103Z. I have no idea what that means, but on the board next to each of them says .01 u, so I am assuming that they are .01 uf. On ebay, i found ceramic capacitors that are .01 uf and 50v, however, instead of 103Z, they say 103K. Should they still work? I am a bit confused on this matter, and I do not know much about capacitors.

then it looks like I'm screwed over. The minimum order on the site grosaffe posted is $25. I don't want to spend that much just to get one capacitor. plus there would be shipping. then handling.

themadhacker said:
then it looks like I'm screwed over. The minimum order on the site grosaffe posted is $25. I don't want to spend that much just to get one capacitor. plus there would be shipping. then handling.
I was just posting a link of the exact capacitor that used to be there. You just need any capacitor that's .01 microfarads rated at 50 volts. Perhaps you can find one at radioshack or something, they have capacitors.

I'll check if they have them since I'm going there in a few days. Either that or I may find a cap of that value in my box of capacitors that I ook of of dead boards.

Does the capacitor have to be a disk-capacitor?

themadhacker said:
I'll check if they have them since I'm going there in a few days. Either that or I may find a cap of that value in my box of capacitors that I ook of of dead boards.

nope. A capacitor is a capacitor is a capacitor.

Resistors are a semiconductor that RESISTS the flow of electricity, and capacitors are components that hold a charge, then pulses it out when needed.

I knew THAT, :wtf: I just don't know when they are needed and until an hour ago i thought I needed to buy special capacitors while I have about 5 normal ones sitting in my box of caps.

Wait, you can put a ceramic capacitor in the place of an electrolytic capacitor?! :evil: All of the electrolytic caps I've wasted my money on :wtf:

eurddrue said:
Wait, you can put a ceramic capacitor in the place of an electrolytic capacitor?! :evil: All of the electrolytic caps I've wasted my money on :wtf:

No. Electrolytic caps have higher uF ratings than ceramic caps. To replace a cap you need the same uF rating and the same or higher voltage rating. Electrolytic caps are availible with higher uF ratings and generally have a lower voltage rating. They are also polarized, ceramic caps are not.

themadhacker said:

It should be. You can order from Didi-Key; that's where I get my capacitors from. Have them shipped to you first class, and shipping will be $1-$2. You will have them within two business days of ordering, if you order early enough.

Back