Good introductory project?

Mister Shuckle

Okies, I'm completely new to modding. I have most of the tools needed (Although I lack the knowledge on how to use them...) and would like to know what's a mod that's cheap and fairly easy to do? Maybe an LED swap on my GBC? How hard is that? I know there's a purple/blue one under that little black square on the top, could I use that one without wrecking my GBC?

Well, the LED's under the comm. port are infared, and cannot be seen by the human eye.

You can go to radioshack and get a 3mm blue LED for about a buck.

Than just desolder the old one, stick the new one in (polarity matters), and solder 'er up.

Oh, Sweet! I'll try to hitch a ride up there the week after next. (This week I need to use my allowance to order stuff from my WTB thread. :dah: )

Is there a way for me to use the light out of my GBA SP on my GBC without wrecking the SP?

The SP uses smt LED's. They are small. Like, 2mm x 1mm x 1mm.

In short, you can, but you have to be good with an iron.

Than yes. You just pull the frontlight panel off of the LCD. The system will still work, just no light on the screen.

So I was getting the light ready and following the guide that someone linked me to in my GBC modding topic and...
picture0045h.jpg

This happened. D: (Sorry for the blurriness, It was taken with a webcam.)

A few questions...
1) Is it completely wasted?
2) Can I use the bottom screen from my DS instead?
3) If so, can you link me to a tutorial specifically for this screen?

what happened? the little twigs on the cabble broke off? i just scratched the ribbon cable down to the metal to solder to..

OMFGCAPS said:
what happened? the little twigs on the cabble broke off? i just scratched the ribbon cable down to the metal to solder to..
No, the little trigs on the cable broke off.

Oh, good... So it's not totally screwed. ^_^

In the meantime, I'd like to share an idea I had and ask if it's even remotely possible.

Could you take a GBA link cable, slice off one end, take a USB cable, slice off the end that doesn't go into a computer, solder them together and trade pokemon from a GBA to an emulator? I know it's probably a stupid idea, but I just thought it would be interesting, albeit somewhat useless.

Mister Shuckle said:

In the meantime, I'd like to share an idea I had and ask if it's even remotely possible.

Could you take a GBA link cable, slice off one end, take a USB cable, slice off the end that doesn't go into a computer, solder them together and trade pokemon from a GBA to an emulator? I know it's probably a stupid idea, but I just thought it would be interesting, albeit somewhat useless.
You could, given that you built a custom decoder board between the two.

The GBA X-rom would also work...

Ohh... Lol. Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just trying to get creative. ^_^

Here's another crazy and probably useless idea. As of late, there have been a lot of N64 portables. Could someone make a portable using the N64 memory card to load games? This would probably only be able to do the most basic of games, if any at all, but I just thought it'd be unique.

Lol, I thought so. XD

Anyhoo, thanks for helping me with this. The next time my grandma goes to buy groceries I'll try to convince her to take me to Radio Shack so I can get the stuff needed to light up my GBC.

In the meantime, do I need to clip anything to get my SP running again without fear of electric shock? Besides putting the screen back on the main board?

Mister Shuckle said:

action replay DS does this..

Ohhh. XD

I wish I had one of those pokemon mini things from the G/S/C era. I hear homebrew and such for those is pretty easy. ^_^

Back