Good circuit-building software

Well, I'm posting this as it has helped me immensely. Soldering isn't one of my strong points so I looked into using breadboards. Circuit diagrams also confused me somewhat... I understood what I was looking at but was having trouble implementing it. Then I found the Circuit Design Suite from National Instruments. The student and educational versions allow you to make a schematic, then build it on a virtual breadboard. Not only does it build and work correctly, but it helps you design and build the device by lighting up connections as you go through them.

If your awesome, use eagle. If you are awesome and are doing circuit design professionally, use altium. If you are looking for something with a nice gui a not-so steep learning curve, use fritzing.

Eagle: FREE
Fritzing: FREE
Altium: $995 - $4,995

- mymixed

I love it how people will pay thousands on software purely for slight convenience.

I ain't saying they aren't bad, I mean several of the more expensive programs trump others (ie Vegas, Photoshop to a certain extent) However with niche programs like this, rarely do expensive programs offer that much more besides convenience, and the consumerist feel-good placebo you get from buying expensive things.

Antome said:
I love it how people will pay thousands on software purely for slight convenience.
This. But if your working for an employer, I'm sure they'll give it to you as long as you tell them you need it.

mymixed said:
If your awesome, use eagle. If you are awesome and are doing circuit design professionally, use altium. If you are looking for something with a nice gui a not-so steep learning curve, use fritzing.

Eagle: FREE
Fritzing: FREE
Altium: $995 - $4,995

- mymixed
I read this as "Hey guys, get the NI Software Design Suite! It helps you understand circuits better and is neat!"

So it seems a bit like an advertisement. And I agree, the Circuit Design Suite including Multisim and Ultiboard are really neat. Ultiboard is basically like EAGLE and Multisim is a circuit simulator.

Oh, and I don't believe Eagle/Fritzing/Altium have Circuit Simulators.

That being said, this seems to just be a bit of an advertisement.

Oh, and since the guy who made this post left it out, the Circuit Design Suite is around 40 bucks for the Student Version with proof you are a student.

:oops:. Ya, they don't simulate. The NL software design suite looks coll though! I'll have to check it out.

- mymixed

Ugh why do the circuit design programs have to make things 20 times more complicated than they have to be? :( Even Eagle thinks it's a good idea to make part selection not-obvious. I should just use friggin MacDraw.

e: Also why has nobody ever come up with an object-oriented vector graphics program for PC that's as good as MacDraw? Inkscape sucks, Freehand is dead, and Illustrator is too expensive.

bic said:
Ugh why do the circuit design programs have to make things 20 times more complicated than they have to be? :( Even Eagle thinks it's a good idea to make part selection not-obvious. I should just use friggin MacDraw.

e: Also why has nobody ever come up with an object-oriented vector graphics program for PC that's as good as MacDraw? Inkscape sucks, Freehand is dead, and Illustrator is too expensive.
For the most part, inkscape is an excellent vector graphics program. You may just not understand how paths work. I was able to understand it after a little trial and error.

With my limited knowledge of programming aside, I really want to create some form of streamlined, simplified inkscape, or at least a simple raster-based diagram builder.

I've only used CorelDraw, I don't find it *that* hard to use. But I have no basis for comparison.

As for PCB software, I use DipTrace. Partly because it's what we use at school, partly because I like it better than EAGLE. I find EAGLE counter-intuitive and ridiculously obfuscated by comparison. The only problem with DipTrace is that 90% of the hobbyist world uses EAGLE and you won't find any custom libraries. Thankfully, making new parts is pretty easy.

Antome said:
You may just not understand how paths work. I was able to understand it after a little trial and error.

I know how paths work. :wtf: The problem I had with Inkscape was the same problem I have with GiMP: the terrible design-by-committee interface that can't decide what other program it wants to ape.

Thanks for the backhanded comment though; it's very much appreciated.

Back