Gonna portablize the Heck outa my GC

With the smashing success of my nes portable, I am confident enough in my skills to undertake the GC. I Hope that you will all support me in my efforts dispute the fact that there are a frick ton of new portable posts here. This forum rocks. You guys rock. I like rock. Rock beats scissors. Paper can (insert expletive) it.

So for starters, here is my work table. That soldering station is sweet and only 100$ if anyone is looking to get a new one by the way.
nc7w3Wj.jpg

Got my cleaned up motherboard, trimmed disk drive and other cleaned up parts. I'm a fan of using original components so I'm going to incorporate as much originality into my portable as I can and keep it fairly slim as well.
cv1hYAo.jpg

Controller and and zn40 case. I'm trying to determine what to do with the controller... Chopping a nes controller and soldering the traces was easy enough but the GC controller I have has a nice white paint job on it and is making me nervous about chopping and soldering traces, and we all know you can't beat the feel of those original buttons so I'd rather not use tact switches if I can help it, unless you guys can vouch that they don't affect your game play...
So therein begs the question - landscape or portrait?...
5xRxnHZ.jpg

UPDATE: I decided to just give er with the controller.
Using some fine grit sand paper for my dremel, I worked away at the surface to discover it is surprisingly uncomplicated to split and solder wires to the traces and the R button slider should be no problem to work out. Go figure.
xjPVzp2.jpg

f2CKREf.jpg

Re: Gonna portablize the Heck outa my GC

I can tell you squishy tact switches feel nearly identical to the original controller's membranes. They're certainly easier than dealing with the button membrane too, but you should go with what you most prefer. I'm not sure I've ever seen a portrait style GameCube portable in a ZN-40 case; that would be interesting.

Cool, thanks for the input Blarg. Now that I've chopped the controller I'm gonna go with it though.
This is a good opportunity to post on my progress though
I've decided also go landscape :p also partially because of the controller, but also for weight distribution.
Here's how my DD will be set up.
nPRLPo1.jpg

OQqLBRk.jpg

KeZNZlC.jpg

Would definitely recommend a drive replacement chip to load via SD card and reduce bulk and power consumption.

Yeah.... I really want to but if I sunk one more dollar into this project my wife will probably kill me...
I guess I could get away with it somehow, know anyone that has an extra layin around that they wanna sell me that would be cool.

try Megalomaniac, if he doesn't have any PM me. I know a guy (if you have trust) but its basically paying a random hong kong guy and hoping it arrives (with me they did)

Back