Golden Rule for soldering irons

well all you really need to do is get a cheap iron for every project. Maybe youll even get one that lasts :p

its only 10$ not the end of the world

The point isn't that it's cheap, it's that it's a much better experience using a good one.

Like I've said, you don't need to pay $150 for a station. Go on eBay and get a weller WES51 for $70 shipped and be happy.

Oh guys! I found this really cheap mexican shop that sells soldering irons for 89 cents. They are crap but the exact same ones are like 5 bucks on Ebay ;) so naturally I bought 3 of them.

Snow, eventually I want to get a nice iron. Should i go with a cordless? What would you recommend?

Tchay said:
Oh guys! I found this really cheap mexican shop that sells soldering irons for 89 cents. They are crap but the exact same ones are like 5 bucks on Ebay ;) so naturally I bought 3 of them.

Snow, eventually I want to get a nice iron. Should i go with a cordless? What would you recommend?
eh. cordless is overrated. however, they can be quite handy. if you do decide to go with a cordless, make sure you get a higher end weller portasol. the butane is plenty cheap, and they get hotter thn the electric ones, plus they have a way longer life. (the electronic ones dont have a huge recharge cycle)
as for an iron, i recently got an aoyue 986, which is a china-clone of a hakko. its actually incredible! works just as well as my dads big reworks station for work, that cost like 1400$. it got grea reviews everywhere, and works with hakko parts, plus its 1/3 the cost of the equivalent hakko/weller! :awesome:

Stations are really nice, but my WP25 is good enough for me. It cost almost as much as a cheap station, though.

Cordless irons are neat, but not overly useful. I think one would be handy for quick jobs when you don't want to wait, like if a wire came loose or something, but not any good for anything else. I'm talking about battery powered ones. Butane ones are cool but waaaay overkill for the kind of stuff we do. Probably great for robotics use, where you have to solder big huge wires, though.

XCVG said:
Stations are really nice, but my WP25 is good enough for me. It cost almost as much as a cheap station, though.

Cordless irons are neat, but not overly useful. I think one would be handy for quick jobs when you don't want to wait, like if a wire came loose or something, but not any good for anything else. I'm talking about battery powered ones. Butane ones are cool but waaaay overkill for the kind of stuff we do. Probably great for robotics use, where you have to solder big huge wires, though.
eh. i actually did half of a cartslot relocation with my butane one yesterday. it worked very well! (n64, btw.)

I have one from walmart that I bought over 4 years ago, back way when I used to mod regular xboxs for chips and LED lights and what not. I don't know what kind it is, it's just a black handle with a solid tip. I'm going to be buying a better one now, but only because I have more projects to do, and this one is too blunt.

Back