gman's pocketable GCp

gman

Here's the worklog for my newest GCp. I've already got most of the case done. I used my new cnc machine to cut the mold for the case which was vac formed. Also the cnc machine cut the buttons. The dpad was a bit too large so i frankencased it in. This should be the world's smallest GCp with batteries. I havent measured it but its almost as small as a GCp can be so if it isnt a new record, then I'll be damned. It's about the size of a 3ds plus a bit thicker. The thickness isnt finalized so I might make adjustments later on. I'm thinking painting it orange cause it'll look sexy.

Everybody paints their flax orange now cuz blargaman reminded them that it was a color. I was thinking of painting my new gcp orange also

You're becoming such a master at this

Your case looks perfect, can't wait to see it in action :)

What dimensions are you envisioning for now (even though thickness may vary)

What are you thinking for heatsinks? I saw some aluminium ones on ebay that ressemble the original GC rack but with fins closer to the base. If it can help.

The dimensions are 138mm x 75mm x 38mm (thickness might vary +/-2mm). As long as I keep the GC mobo wiring neat it should fit tightly. I'm using ds buttons for abxy btw. I'll probably use the original gc heatsink trimmed down to 1cm or smaller (depending on how much room I have). And I'll use 2 fans side by side on it to keep it cool.

Wanna share these heatsinks you saw? Maybe they'll work better.

There are actually many different ones I overlooked (I wasn't shopping for them) they can come in many different sizes and thicknesses but to give you an idea here's a link to one that matches roughly the gc's dimensions.

I honestly think you could gain a few mm with getting rid of or relocating the tallest cap and using a slimmer heastink, and obviously with a good airflow

The only thing I think can help with those is that they look like the "base" layer is slimmer than the original one, so more fin surface (and surface overall)

It mostly seems that way on the slimmer versions of those products

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151059897435?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

But you loose the screw posts

That one's basically the same as the original GC heatsink just thinner so you wouldnt have to trim it. I think custom heatsinks are worth taking a look.

Yeah those definitly don't make much difference but my point was maybe you'll find something to do with all the different shapes and sizes ;)

Go all the way and make it the smallest ever ! You can certainly pull it off

Edit : i also saw that there are 7mm thick fans on there now, I don't know if I was just unaware of their existence before or if they're just becoming more common but that could help (I'm talking about under 10$ fans obviously)

Painted the front half. I'm diggin the orange. I cut some vent holes on the back half too.

really like those vent holes !

not a fan of the orange though but maybe that's the pictures ;)

will follow this closely it's awesome so far.
It would look great in two tones but hey I think you know what you're doing here :)

I think everyone will have mixed feelings about orange, you either love it or hate it. I like how it makes it stand out more and most portables are always black or white.

Hopefully comes out looking like the orange gamecube. Always had a soft spot for it.

gamecube2.jpg

public-pervert said:
Will the vent holes be where your hands will be covering?
They are where your hands are but my hands shouldnt be covering them completely airtight. It should allow some air through.

Life of Brian said:
What was your technique for cutting the vent holes? They look mighty fine.
My new cnc machine :) which was also used to cut the case out besides the dpad which was frankencased

Also..

Will you you be making it with dual tact method shoulder buttons? Also, will you make it with a headphone jack? Plz reply

Back