Gman's 2nd 3D printer

gman

Here's my 2nd 3D printer. It's the reprap Rostock. Completely Homemade. Many of the parts were printed off of my first printer and it uses plywood as the main frame. I'm getting consistently good prints now but I still have more to learn and a bit more calibration to do.

Features:
Huge print volume - 20cm x 20cm x 40cm
Aluhotend v5 .3mm nozzle -high resolution
Rostock design
Heated bed
1.75mm filament
Bowden extruder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xfEYI42t6M

Bush said:
Good god that's badass. How much did it cost you?
It costed about $400 in parts. Most expensive parts include... 8mm rods, 4 stepper motors, and the arduino.

For some reason, the plastic gets jammed after 1.5 hours of printing almost every time. I've got some troubleshooting to do :(. I ordered some more plastic cause I did buy the cheapest plastic I could find lol, if that doesnt work, then I'll have to buy a new hotend.

rebreok said:
You mention an Arduino. Does it run exclusively from a single controller, or do you have a shield?
It's an arduino mega2560 with a ramps 1.4 shield. That's the standard setup for most 3d printers.

gman said:
rebreok said:
You mention an Arduino. Does it run exclusively from a single controller, or do you have a shield?
It's an arduino mega2560 with a ramps 1.4 shield. That's the standard setup for most 3d printers.

I don't know if you can really call anything 'standard' in the field of 3D printing, but okay. And I've been looking around trying to find a good hotend for my eventual printer, and I'm thinking perhaps a jhead or aluhotend. Do you know what the maximum temperature is? I can't seem to find it on any of the eprap wiki pages.

rebreok said:
I don't know if you can really call anything 'standard' in the field of 3D printing, but okay. And I've been looking around trying to find a good hotend for my eventual printer, and I'm thinking perhaps a jhead or aluhotend. Do you know what the maximum temperature is? I can't seem to find it on any of the eprap wiki pages.
An arduino is the most popular way to run a 3D printer. It works great and its affordable so that makes it the most used electronic board for 3D printers. The maximum temp is around 230C anything higher can damage most hotends. There isnt even much of a reason to go beyond 230 unless your experimenting with some weird plastic.

To be honest, up until this point I never really considered that you could make your own 3D printer. Now I know you can, and I'm definitely interested. Great work Gman, looks really cool.

Back