Getting a cheap copy of microsoft office as a student

bentomo

Frequent Poster
So I have to get copy of microsoft office for school, open office isn't cutting it because of all the weird formatting that the professors use. I can get a full copy for $40 as a student, but I'm wondering if there's any programs for students that they could get into to get free microsoft software, I know they exist, I just need to find the right one for microsoft office.

Show me your internet trickery. (legally of course, can't torrent through the school)

My school just gave it to us for free from their own online store. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that you can only download it once, and I reformatted, so I'm just using Libre Office (continuation of open office) for now.

If you know someone in the uni's IT department you can probably get a free copy.

Other than that, just spend the 40 bucks.

Libre Office is pretty great if you can't get a copy of MS Office. You might have to install extra fonts though.

As much as I love LibreOffice, the formatting thing is an issue you do tend to get when going from MSO to OO/LO. I know when I submit files for class I make sure I export as PDF so I know what my professor/TA will see when they open the file.

I never get the formatting thing on documents I write myself, but then again I do save it as a .doc from the get go if that makes a difference. What I have seen is really bad formatting problems when opening .docs with fields and check boxes, such as job applications.

Zero said:
I never get the formatting thing on documents I write myself, but then again I do save it as a .doc from the get go if that makes a difference. What I have seen is really bad formatting problems when opening .docs with fields and check boxes, such as job applications.
If you do more complicated things, that's when it starts to get wonky. When I'm writing lab reports, I embed spreadsheets and graphs into my report. When I save that as a .doc or whatever, I wind up with big red Xs where my spreadsheets and graphs should be.

Yeah, luckily I don't have any professors asking for anything too complicated this semester. Hopefully they'll just give us Office 2013 for free when that comes out and I'll get another download.

EDIT: Actually, looks like the Office 2013 Consumer Preview is going on right now. That should probably hold you over at the very least until March or so of next year, possibly more. The consumer preview isn't set to expire until 60 days after the retail date for Office 2013, which is coming out sometime in Q1 2013.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en

Back