getting 480i from an american cube

Diminuendo

Ok, so I know the Pal cube put off interlaced component, and that the US cube only put off S-video.

now my question is what compenents make the pal cube send RGB, and can I trancefer that part to an american cube so I can get 480i RGB without the digital component cable.

The reason I ask is that I have a 240x320 screen and I don't want it to be resolution switching all the time when I boot up swiss and stuff (the pal cube boots to 576i, then switches to 480i when swiss activates)

uhh, that's not relevant to my problem dude. I'm trying to make a portable device with a 3.5" VGA screen.

Diminuendo said:
Ok, so I know the Pal cube put off interlaced component, and that the US cube only put off S-video.

now my question is what compenents make the pal cube send RGB, and can I trancefer that part to an american cube so I can get 480i RGB without the digital component cable.

The reason I ask is that I have a 240x320 screen and I don't want it to be resolution switching all the time when I boot up swiss and stuff (the pal cube boots to 576i, then switches to 480i when swiss activates)

Well one of the big differences that makes the Pal GameCube output 480i and not the NTSC Cubes (US) is the video chip they have itself. As you can see (sorry for the big pictures):

avendol.png

This is an NTSC Board, the Video Chip being AVE N-Dol

avepdol.jpg

This is a Pal Board, the Video Chip being AVE P-Dol

I am not sure that you can just switch them because I do not think anyone has tried it. The only way now to get Component (RGBHV) on a GameCube is buy an Official GameCube Component Cable and mod it to get VGA. They cost around $100. Then another problem occurs, having a screen to output 15khz VGA and 31khz VGA (Progressive Scan) If they dont support 15khz then you would have to switch to composite for the gamecube bios and everything that doesnt support Progressive. About 1/3 of NTSC Games support Progressive Scan. The only screens that have been tested to have 15khz and 31khz VGA are Dalian "Good Display" (5"). I personally have one and My video output is ALWAYS 15khz (Interlaced) and 31khz (Progressive for games that support it). I never have to use composite. If you have any other questions I will gladly try to answer them.

I'm aware of the 15khz and 31khz thing, my screen supports both.

I also cant validate the use of the composite cable if I'm not getting 640p. I plan to use theYP B P R to RGBHV Converter Ashen found. (taking the sync signal from the composite line so I don't dim the component) I'm also considering putting a scanline remover onto it to remove one of the two interlaced fields, depending on if the downscaling causes video issues, but we'll see how that goes.

I thought that was the chip from my GC board. It look like all of the pins to the lower side go to the same place on both boards, so maybe we can trace out where the top ones go on both and figure out a way to transpose the connections?

Diminuendo said:
I'm aware of the 15khz and 31khz thing, my screen supports both.

I also cant validate the use of the composite cable if I'm not getting 640p. I plan to use theYP B P R to RGBHV Converter Ashen found. (taking the sync signal from the composite line so I don't dim the component) I'm also considering putting a scanline remover onto it to remove one of the two interlaced fields, depending on if the downscaling causes video issues, but we'll see how that goes.

I thought that was the chip from my GC board. It look like all of the pins to the lower side go to the same place on both boards, so maybe we can trace out where the top ones go on both and figure out a way to transpose the connections?

It might be possible to swap chips but people probably do not wanna bother because its not important (I think its pretty cool though). And with the Converter Ashen found out I am not sure anyway has used it on a GameCube but theoretically it looks like it would work. Most people would just buy a Component Cable and mod it to get VGA, but then again its super expensive. Still, I wanna see if this all works out. Good luck.

Back