GCN portable first concept :P need lot of advices in here!

Tsukimaru

Well guys, i need LOTS of advices with one of my future projects (since i do not have much Money to afford making this right now plus i`m a total noob at modding), but I wanted to make a pre-project to make it easier once I decide to build it. Is a GCN portable.

foto0013hs.jpg

Well, I inspired in many GCN portables for this, and I made a very simple drawing of the concepts I want to add it. Note that im a Super smash bros melee player, and im looking forward to use this gadget to play with my friends or all alone sometimes. Let me show you how I visualize it:

(front)
foto0014fg.jpg

This is a very simple front view, and it wont need to be precisely like that, however, I wanna keep the buttons placements in order to get mayor comfort while playing. I kept the button arrangement so I don’t have to get used to a new arrangement :p. I plan to use stereo sound and an audio input on the upper side so when I play alone I can use headphones. Needing some advices for the display, something that doesn’t need too much power to make it last longer but enough big to play with 4 people and enjoy.

(Back)
foto0017h.jpg

Since I didn’t know how to draw the disc reader, I just drew the space where it should be placed. On the bottom I had the idea to use two different fans, both spinning in opposite directions, so that way one can get some cool air in, and the other expel the hot air out (need advice with this one specially).
You can see the “L” and “R” triggers on each side, well, i`ll try to get them in place so I can play without having to lose comfort, besides i`m using GCN controller`s trigger.

(Lower side):
foto0016b.jpg

Here is where I have loads of questions. I planned to conserve all four players input to play multi-player games with a problem. My fisrt question is: can I implant a switch so I can use the default controller, and when i`m playing with other people, be able to use an external controller for the player 1? Cause if not, i`ll have to change the whole design from here on.
My other question is, since I want to use both slot 1 and 2 placements for GCN memory instead of SD input, can I arrange them in the place shown in the pic?
Any other recommendations here are welcome.

(Upper side):
foto0019k.jpg

Here`s the most complex part on the external. As I said, im noob at modding and I need a power source that can afford me 3 to 4 hours of gaming before the battery run out. Ignore the placements, I just want to know if what i`ll attempt to do is possible:
An audio input to use headphones when playing alone, energy input to play connected with an outlet in my house, besides providing my battery some recharge.
An audio/video input to connect it with a TV sometimes :p
And at last but not least, the power source placement (or battery placement, it`s the same for me lol). Depending on the battery you guys think I can use, i`ll change this placement.

Well, as I said, any recommendations are useful, and I hope that in some months (or years) im finishing this project successfully.

Re: GCN portable first concept :p need lot of advices in her

Tsukimaru said:
Any recommendations are useful.
That's quite an ambitious project. I'd say start with the basics. NES, N64, or even a simpler portable Gamecube.

surely i should, but i`m almost broke to even try prototypes :S and as i said, i`ll try this project out once i`ve got money and experience on my side :p

however, d u think i should re-design this attempt?

It's an excellent design, but there's tons of features. Some of them will probably be a pain to add, especially while keeping the unit small. (Namely, controller and memory card slots.)

well, in case i cannot conserve the controller slots, i would sacrifice the default controller attached since my main objective is multi-player games. btw, thx 4 your oppinion, really useful :)

Back