GC Custom Regulator Misbehaving

zack

I've been working on a portable gamecube, and recently my custom regulator has apparently broken. The voltage lines have increased in voltage, which fried one of my motherboards. I've confirmed that the regulator was working fine for a long time with correct voltages for the 1.9v, 3.3v, and 5v lines.

NOW the voltages are around:
2.65v for the 1.9v line
4.62v for the 3.3v line
6.97v for the 5v line
Obviously this is wrong and most likely the reason why my gamecube quit on me. My question is, what could have caused this issue with the regulator? Do you think I need to replace the whole thing with new regs from TI, or is there an easier fix?

Pic of the regulator.
h8cc.jpg

all three providing higher voltage....sounds like something is shorted..

disassemble / desolder the entire setup and reassemble each regulator separately..
test each regulator output one by one to determine if the voltage is still higher than expected..

megalomaniac said:
all three providing higher voltage....sounds like something is shorted..

disassemble / desolder the entire setup and reassemble each regulator separately..
test each regulator output one by one to determine if the voltage is still higher than expected..
Thanks mega, I planned on redoing the whole regulator and testing everything to find any issues like you said. I didn't know if it was a common issue that someone would know about and could save me some time. For example, if it were the capacitors or resistors I could simply replace those without disassembling all of my hard work. Anyways, looks like I got a custom regulator to build. :dahroll:

Back