GBA/GBA SP screen adapter

eyedeeuhs

Did anyone ever get around to making these adapter ribbons?
I seen a thread about them a while ago... like years, but I'm not sure if these were ever reproduced.
Any help or if you have some quality ribbons please let me know.

here is a look at the ribbon taken from a post later in that thread

plc268 said:
I finally got my cable and screen from that seller on taobao. I don't think the screen itself is an official GBA SP backlit screen, but rather a cheap reproduction. Why? It has a terribly low refresh rate (ghosting) and I can practically see the lines scanning. But, I've never seen an ags-101 before, so I have no reference anyway. Regardless, I may try to source an ags-101 anyway, and try that out.

Anyway, as far I can tell, the (40-pin) cable is just merely an extension for the LCD with an added wire to power the backlight. The reason for this, for those that don't know, is that the standard gba screen, the cable is on the top, and for the GBA SP screen the cable originates out of the bottom of the screen.

(I tried to get as clear of a picture as possible, but my only camera is my iphone)
7619311388_a8d7fdc016_z.jpg

7619311942_7d6e01a54a_z.jpg

Installation was fairly straightforward after following the pdf install guide. I translated it via google translate, but to be honest, the pictures did a pretty good job anyway. This mod will require you to shave away some plastic from the inside of the front faceplate. I just used a dremel, but I'm sure a hobby knife would work just fine.

Me testing the screen:
7619312390_2aff544a6f_z.jpg

And all put together:
7619313102_97bb3a584e_z.jpg

7619313572_c6be4822a3_z.jpg

I'm satisfied with how it looks and works, but as I said, perhaps I'll cannibalize an ags-101 in the future.

Nice Find! (I did hear about RCG's project before they started producing)
Unfortunately i wouldn't spend $60 on my "Agb-001" to make the screen look like a "Ags-101" screen (Even though i like the overall build better than the "Ags-101")
On that note one of these kits cost's over 2x as much as a afterburner kit cost at its lowest. (Though obviously RCG's version will be over 2x better)
I would much rather buy an extra "Ags-101" rip it open and figure something out.
Also just out of curiosity and a general question: if they are "Ags-101" screens how are they getting them?
And if there buying the gameboys as a whole and ripping the screens out of them what the Heck do they do with the rest of the gba sp?

I think there Chinese remakes of the screen it was a lot money but so worth it .

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

epicelite said:
This guy sells the cable by itself if you contact him.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=0.0 ... 4045909056

Obviously it will take a while as its coming from China.

Yeah that's the only lead I've found but I was looking for a seller/maker here in the states.
As for the kits that's a bit steep, I can find junk AGS-101's for around $15-20 in my area and I have a couple spare in my drawer I was going to cannibalize so the kit would be redundant. I guess if I can't find a reproduction here I have to go through Mr. Zerey.

Back