games have got terrible lately, no?

Fairly certain that because of NOT actively doing something Arkham city didn't save my progress.

Guess I have to go beat up Batman.

SS

Zero said:
Private trackers.

Thought you had a blackcats account?

I would love one if I could *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing get one.

GFWL is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing terrible. My biggest issue with it was, when I first installed Fallout 3, I just used a default GFWL account because I wanted to get right to it. Then, when I finally decided to use my actual Xbox Live account, it wouldn't let me access my saves until I manually edited who the save files were attributed to in my Fallout 3 folder.

And un-optimized games bug the Heck out of me. I can't run GTA4 well unless I'm on low-mid settings, but Saints Row 3 comes along and I can run it perfectly on Ultra? At least a few companies know how to get it right.

nterror said:
GFWL is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing terrible. My biggest issue with it was, when I first installed Fallout 3, I just used a default GFWL account because I wanted to get right to it. Then, when I finally decided to use my actual Xbox Live account, it wouldn't let me access my saves until I manually edited who the save files were attributed to in my Fallout 3 folder.

And un-optimized games bug the Heck out of me. I can't run GTA4 well unless I'm on low-mid settings, but Saints Row 3 comes along and I can run it perfectly on Ultra? At least a few companies know how to get it right.
They know how to make pop-in grafex, the view distance in the game is horrendous and there's no way to change it.
DJ, I can send you a referral code if you want.

Mako321 said:
the view distance in the game is horrendous and there's no way to change it.

True dat. I fail to see why games just can't have more graphical options available for players with computers that aren't toasters.

I fail to see why they can't optimize games to run on toasters, rather than make them flaxty.

ProgMetalMan said:
I fail to see why they can't optimize games to run on toasters, rather than make them flaxty.
They can only optimize so much before diminishing returns kicks in.

Dell Inspiron 530 Refurbished
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS with 512MB VRAM
300GB HDD
Samsung SyncMaster 943swx 1366(1360?)x768 19" monitor
According to these specs you posted in the rigs thread on SSF, your CPU and GPU were both released in 2007. Your GPU was entry level when it was released and could barely play modern games back then (according to Wikipedia). Your CPU is still passable, but a sub-$100 GPU would blow your current one away and help immensely in most games.

I am aware that my computer is ass; however, optimization can be taken much further than it is. If devs today worked in the late 80's, all SNES games would look like Mario World, not Donkey Kong country. In addition,
nterror said:
I can't run GTA4 well unless I'm on low-mid settings, but Saints Row 3 comes along and I can run it perfectly on Ultra?

ProgMetalMan said:
I am aware that my computer is ass; however, optimization can be taken much further than it is. If devs today worked in the late 80's, all SNES games would look like Mario World, not Donkey Kong country. In addition,
nterror said:
I can't run GTA4 well unless I'm on low-mid settings, but Saints Row 3 comes along and I can run it perfectly on Ultra?
GTAIV has a lot more going for it too, though. Proper physics, a world of people doing more than walking, a large view distance, higher res models and textures, etc.

Sorry Mako, my mind didn't process what you were saying about the flaxty render distance and all that in relation to Nterror's post.

Saints Row 3 looks and plays a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*-ton better than GTAIV, whilst the game world in it has 'a lot going on', it doesn't excuse the fact it's a really shocking port.

Rockstar just assumes all PC gamers have the best high end parts in their PCs. Doubt they even bother using any real compression for their pc versions, considering Max Payne 3 is 35GB for PC.

This is why I've given up on mainstream games. There's been some great indie games this year that have taken up far too much of my time:

FTL: Faster Than Light
Hotline Miami
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Back