GameCube Fusion, rev 4.

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
I know, I know.. I know what you're thinking: "GoDangit Ashen, are you ever going to finish anything else other than 100 stupid GDMF GCp's?" To which I have to say: "Well yes, eventually. What can I say? I love the GameCube."

So now that that's out of the way, on to business.

This revision of the Fusion is going to be VERY similar to the 3rd revision, with a few subtle changes as you'll see soon enough. Why make a worklog for something that's going to be super similar to the last one you ask? Well, you'll find that out soon enough also.

"Pretty cryptic man. So where the Heck are you at with this new thing anyway?"

Well, I'm not much past the starting point. but far enough to show some stuff now I guess. I've designed and made a new mold for Vac forming, got it all wrapped up and this morning I made some forms out of em. They came out pretty nice.

Here you can see the old rev 3 molds and the new rev 4 molds:

As you can see, these are pretty much carbon copy's of the old molds besides the trigger areas, which I'll be using N64 triggers for. I've made the molds roughly 2mm wider and 1.5mm taller to buy myself a bit extra breathing room for packing stuff inside, among other reasons which will be revealed later. The other cool thing I've done is indented the 3DS analog stick area's this time by using a 0.8in thick piece of Lexan (polycarbonate sheet) and pre-cutting the hole area's out and then gluing the lexan to the piece of MDF I used to make the mold. This is the result:

Trimmed up (33mm total thickness this time):

"That all looks really great man, but I still don't understand the point of seeing you do pretty much the same thing over and over again."

Well, for one thing. I plan to document everything in great detail for this portable and post it here ( even like some video logs and stuff *gasp*). Pretty much so even someone who's dumber than dogflax should be able to make a functional GCp. The OTHER and most important reason for this worklog is this:

Which I recently acquired for a pretty significant sum of spare cash. I'm going to attempt to make silicone "negative" molds out of the vac formed case you see above once its completed. This should be a pretty fun and interesting process, and if it works out right and I don't completely *Can'tSayThisOnTV* it up. I should be able to reproduce completed cases like nobody's business. Which will be great for both me, and anyone who would wish to purchase a case that they can pretty much drop stuff in and call it complete. As I said, I'm going to try to go into great detail and document this process as best I can here, so that if anyone else would want to try, they could do it also.

I learned about this process by following Bungles awesome worklog for his first N64p over on MBB.
http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/forum/v ... s&start=40
He's also documented the process already in pretty great detail. Which gives me plenty to go by. So thanks Bungle!

Next step before any silicone pouring can occur is getting this vac formed case pretty much perfect. More soon!

Some guy said:
"Dangit Ashen, are you ever going to finish anything else other than 100 stupid GDMF GCp's?"
Who's saying such blasphemers? LOL

For me, I'd like to see your 100th revision and see how refined it would be.

When you make the mold, it would be cool if you poured molten aluminum into it. A pure aluminum case would look extremely sexy. Even though your cases are already extremely sexy :lol:

NNSS said:
When you make the mold, it would be cool if you poured molten aluminum into it. A pure aluminum case would look extremely sexy. Even though your cases are already extremely sexy :lol:
If he pours Aluminum into a silicone mold, bad things will happen.
You use a special sand for Aluminum casting.

What kind of resin are your planning to use? I've talked to some people about this idea, and there seems to be some doubt about the sturdiness of the resin.

Also, I much approve of the new case design. It looks like more than what I would call a minor change.

Ashen said:
Why make a worklog for something that's going to be super similar to the last one you ask? Well, you'll find that out soon enough also.

It smells like a Wii DVD drive :awesome:

Also, everyone loves your work. Even if you make 100 equal units, I'll follow the 100 worklogs. I've learned a lot following your work. Thanks!

ShockSlayer said:
This is the worst N64 portable I have ever seen.

I concur 100%

ttsgeb said:
What kind of resin are your planning to use? I've talked to some people about this idea, and there seems to be some doubt about the sturdiness of the resin.

Its "Alumilite white" (the two big jugs in the above picture). In a nutshell, its a low viscosity polyurethane thermoset polymer. Unlike thermoplastic polymers, it will not melt when heated after it cures. Its kind of like a 2 part epoxy mix, if you need something to compare it to. The Alumilite website has a ton of videos you can watch of this stuff in action. Its actually really interesting to watch it done.

As for the sturdiness/durability of it after molded, that remains to be seen. This is my first time working with this stuff personally. It seemed to work out well for Bungle though, which is reassuring. I plan to "thicken up" the walls of the case I've formed somehow to help get a better fill when the plastic is poured and to strengthen the molded case overall. I'm not sure how I'll do this yet though, I'm still tossing around some ideas. I'm also going to build a small "vibrator table" to put the molds on when/while pouring to hopefully help with the fill process also. I wouldn't have spent over $300 on all of this flax if I wasn't fairly confident it would all work out in the end. ;)

ttsgeb said:
Also, I much approve of the new case design. It looks like more than what I would call a minor change.

<3 Geb.

public-pervert said:
Ashen said:
Why make a worklog for something that's going to be super similar to the last one you ask? Well, you'll find that out soon enough also.

It smells like a Wii DVD drive :awesome:

Also, everyone loves your work. Even if you make 100 equal units, I'll follow the 100 worklogs. I've learned a lot following your work. Thanks!

Thanks man. <3 Work logs are absolutely the best learning tool for people who want to learn different techniques, etc IMO (I followed peoples work for YEARS before I started posting on these forums). Which is why I always try to post stuff in detail and take lots of pictures, even though sometimes I fail. :D

He ignored the DVD drive comment. DVD DRIVE CONFIRMED FOR ASHEN

Naw but srsly someone needs to make this already because it so possible now.

Ashen. Herma and I have a proposition for you. It involves portable cases and jello.

SS

Sweet!!! Awesome you are trying a new method. Looking forward to your progress.

Just a quick question. Once you have made a mold like bungle did. You can reuse it as many times as you like??? If so I might get on that bandwagon aswell :p

In theory yes. I'm not sure what the actual life expectancy of a silicone mold is to be honest. But I'm fairly certain that if I pay special attention to small details that in turn make the cast part easy to de-mold, they should last a fairly long time. Enough to make dozens or even hundreds of cases if I wished. After the molds are made all I'll need to do is order more casting resin if needed. The best part is that if things go really smoothly, Alumilite also makes colorant additives for their casting plastic. So if things wind up perfect, with little/no finishing work (sanding, redrilling, etc) required tot he cast parts, painting cases will also be able to be skipped by just mixing in the desired colorant with the plastic mix. :D

This is all theory atm. We'll see how it all translates into real world practice.

How dare you peasent demand something from our almighty GameCube god Ashen.

I'm pretty sure if he had progress he'd post it. :p

Progress! Just a little.

Alright, so I've been getting some casework done. As promised, I'm gonna try to cover every detail of how I do stuff.

I started with the back of the case and worked on the shoulder buttons first. Now, when I'm fixing to make holes into my nice new formed case you might think I spend a lot of time measuring and stuff but I really don't. I do measure a bit but I don't go overboard. I like to "fit and eyeball". Which means I'll take the part I need to make a nice hole for and trace it where it will go in the case. Then I drill some preliminary holes and start filing, fitting, filing, fitting, filing, fitting and so on and so forth. I do this with just about Dang everything. You can kind of see how I do it here:

Yes, I know the triggers are backwards. Thank you.

Next I worked a bit on the front of the case. Getting the buttons from a DS Lite frankencased in. Same thing as above, place and trace:

After I'd dremeled out the area needed and things fit well where they should I taped the button inserts into the front half of the case:

Notice that I covered the whole way around the inserted piece. This is because I don't really frankencase "normally", I go buckwild with this stuff:

And it does me right. It fills in gaps that putty or epoxy and other flax can't get into AND its tough as nails. You'll rip the rest of the case apart before you get that loctite or the inserted piece to break free. Plus it sands real nice. So yea, pour in the loctite:

I let it dry overnight, then take the tape off. Sand the front a little bit and re-fill any spots that may not have filled all the way with more loctite. Wait for it to dry then sand to perfection:

Aaaand, today I did a bit more work on the vents on the back of the case. Again, less measuring, more eyeballing:

Needs cleaned up a little bit still, but it didn't turn out to bad so far. :D

Saw a guy over on Benheck has made up a nice little tut for casting smaller parts:
http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/ ... ing-parts/
Pretty Dang cool. But I'll be taking a different approach to it.

That's it for now.

Ever since Ashen said "I'm a lady for scotch tape" I have also been a lady for scotch tape. It's like, flexible rapid prototyping adhesive plastic strips of goodness that make everything easier.

Also, I see your next big project involves something green and a box of Puffs. Tell me, are you going to lettuce know or is secrecy a tissue?

SS

Back