Gamecube Controller Analog Stick Potentiometer and Adapter

guile

You guys seem to really know what you're doing when it comes to GCN modding so I've got a few questions.

I love the GCN controller but the stick is a bit wonky and they're getting rarer. I don't know the first thing about modding but do any of you know where I can buy replacement analog stick potentiometers that I can swap in whenever I feel like the stick is getting too worn? I don't want to take one from a used or old controller and I don't want one from a really crappy 3rd party controller but one that is comparable or better than the official one on a brand new Nintendo controller. It would be nice if I could replace it with something like the stick on the Wii Nunchuk, PS3, or Wii Classic Controller sticks.

I'd really like to make it so that I can put in the most durable analog stick possible that can possibly be lubricated or treated so that it lasts for years. For me, it seems like Xbox and Xbox 360 sticks are the most durable but they're bulkier than a GCN stick. Honestly, at this point it doesn't matter and all I want is a rock solid analog stick with consistent performance.

I'm also curious as to how difficult it would be to make a custom controller or controller adapter. I got a PS2 to GCN adapter but honestly its a piece of crap with laggy inputs. I want a frame perfect, absolutely zero delay controller, again like the GCN controller. Do you guys have any recommendations for a method of using a modern or more durable controller (PS3, Wii Classic Controller Pro, or PS2 maybe) as a GCN controller with no delay?

I wish controllers were designed with modular analog sticks that were incredibly easy to replace instead of buried inside the guts and attached with solder. The buttons are rarely a problem and last for years but the sticks always get messed up. Seems like they finally improved durability (Wii nunchuks, PS3, Xbox360 sticks are all very good on my 3-4 year old controllers) but I want to transfer that to the GCN.

P.S. I have never soldered anything in my life so I don't know how difficult it would be to do any of this but it doesn't look that horrible. I would be willing to pay a fair price if someone could produce a controller like this too.

Re: Gamecube Controller Analog Stick Potentiometer and Adapt

The classic controllers sticks are interchangable, I'm pretty sure of it. Basically you'd just be desoldering the old stick and then replacing it with the new one in the same orientation. It's pretty basic.

budnespid said:
The classic controllers sticks are interchangable, I'm pretty sure of it. Basically you'd just be desoldering the old stick and then replacing it with the new one in the same orientation. It's pretty basic.

Do you mean the Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, or both? Do they use the same stick parts? Are you absolutely sure (or pretty close) that the potentiometer from one of these would work in the GCN controller board like the original stick?

I might attempt this on one of my old GCN controllers. What about the Wii Nunchuk's stick? Feels a bit stupid to cannibalize a nice CCPro or CC just for the stick which then makes the CC useless...unless I can find a decent used one or something.

I'm 99.998% sure. A nunchuck analog would work also.

Thanks bud, that answers some of my questions.

Do you know if there is a supplier who sells the potentiometer parts separately?

You could check eBay, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Do you think this part has any chance of working if soldered into a Gamecube controller? It's a 10K potentiometer (not even sure exactly what that means). It has the PS2 stick button thing too, is that an issue?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9032

sfe-thumb-joystick.jpg

PS2 Stick = 10kΩ. So that means yes.

Don't even get near those joysticks. They.Are.Trash.

Will ANY two axis, 10k potentiometer for a joystick work if soldered into the gcn controller? It looks like they pretty much all have 3 pins for each axis and 4 main pins to ground for a total of 10 pins. If it's a 10k pot, shouldn't it work?

I'm thinking of using an xbox 360 pot as they seem to be one of the few that can be bought separately and I know that they are sturdy. The problem is, they have the extra switch used for the thumbstick clicker on the side and it looks like it has its own pins. Would this get in the way of soldering the part to the gcn board? Could it be filed off or cut off somehow with relatively little hassle?

This could be really exciting for me if I can find a supply source like this and handle the soldering and even find some better stick caps.

Here are a few supply sources I've found:

Gamecube pot???:
(This one is especially encouraging but it's in Dutch. BUT...the pot says "Gamecube"!!!)
425651_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

http://shop.conrad.nl/componenten/compo ... 25679.html

Xbox pots:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 733wt_1016
is.php

is.php

All those sticks are pretty much interchangeable. If you get one that has the push down click funtion you could just cut that part off or you could wire it up to another button, say like Z or something.

Sounds pretty good. I looked at the online store from Conrad in Germany and they do not ship to the USA or Canada! It says "Canada, USA - High insurance costs make delivery impossible", sounds a little fishy to me. It seems like they might be a supplier or builder for Microsoft which could explain that, or I'm just being paranoid. Either way, I'm trying to see if I can order from them, it looks like a solid company.

Any tips on how I might cut off that plastic part with the clicker? I don't have an electric saw or anything and it seems to be attached by a plastic baseplate. The other pots I see don't have the little thing jutting out with the four pins so I assume it would be safe to cut them off?

Also, any recommendations for a cheap/effective solder, desolder, soldering iron etc. kit?

Very nice iron at RadioShack its the cheapest one there. It's the one I use and has never let me down.

Just use some wire cutters to cut that extra plastic box off. All it is is an enclosed tact switch.

Also, you may want to check dealextreme, thier shipping times are garbage. But they usually have single components like this for the cheapest prices around.

They are interchangable, yes, assuming that it'll fit into the holes on the controller. I don't know for sure, but I think those sticks are a teensy bit bigger than the original GC's, you'll probably have to bend back the 4 shielding pins or snip them or something. The only guaranteed fit is any nunchuck or classic controller stick, they are literally the exact same except better.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
They are interchangable, yes, assuming that it'll fit into the holes on the controller. I don't know for sure, but I think those sticks are a teensy bit bigger than the original GC's, you'll probably have to bend back the 4 shielding pins or snip them or something. The only guaranteed fit is any nunchuck or classic controller stick, they are literally the exact same except better.

SS

Sounds like you've tinkered with some spare nunchuks and classic controllers, do you have any parts in good condition left over? I'm leaning towards using a new Nunchuk or CC for the sticks and putting them in a Gamecube controller but the parts are relatively expensive if I just want the sticks. Looking online, its about $13 for a new official Nunchuk or $24 for a new CC Pro. Might go with a CC, two sticks and it would still function as a good NES, SNES pad.

One more thing, would you recommend desoldering wick or a desoldering pump for an absolute beginner working on GCN controllers?

Oh, you have no idea. XD

Unfortunately I don't have any spares lying around, sorry.

I HIGHLY recommend a radioshack desoldering iron. Totally the best for joysticks.

SS

I was reading up on the Nunchuk and Classic controllers on wiibrew.org and they say that the pots used in Wii parts are all 30k. Would this affect stick sensitivity in a gamecube controller? I'm really dying to know if I can just swap a good wii pot into the gamecube and have it work perfectly as a nice durable stick. I'm still trying to find a supplier for the 2 axis 10k stick pots but so far it's not going too well.

I've looked at the xbox pots too and I believe SS is right that they're slightly larger and they have the clicker...but they are 10k. Might be fun to try to cram one in a gcn controller but I want to try the wii route first.

Has anyone ever used alternative pots, especially from current gen controllers, in a gcn controller? I'd be very interested in the result.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* whatever wiibrew says. They are the exact same, I've swapped them before. I don't actually know if they are 10k or not though.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
*PLAQUE* whatever wiibrew says. They are the exact same, I've swapped them before. I don't actually know if they are 10k or not though.

SS

Wait, so you've put a wii pot in a gamecube controller and it was indistinguishable from the original?

Do you guys know anything about the various makes of official gcn controllers? I know the earliest ones have different trigger spring mechanisms. Are the earlier ones better or more valuable? I don't want to experiment and maybe mess up a more "classic" gcn controller if it makes any difference. I guess they're cheap enough that you could always buy the originals anyway and replace parts.

Back