GAMEBOY MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

yameha

Newb
Hi everyone. I'm new, and I really wanna get back into my gba before I go to college. The nostalgia you know? What I wanna do is stick a gameboy sp into a gameboy advance case. So it has the rechargeable battery, and can play both games. I also am game for doing that too a gbc but I want it to be able to play both. Anyone direction you can point me would be great! Also if someone has one just lying around they don't want, and its in pretty good condition I would buy it from you.

I saw that thread below, but I'm not sure how you would do that, and the last post said the motherboard was too big to fit in the gbc.

why?

1, Sp; better guts, screen, rechargeable. GBA; better feel in the hands. (at least for my large hands playing hours on end.)

2, why not?

3, heck make 4, with link cables and 4 copy's of Zelda four swords, then you can randomly make friends with any group of people. let someone walk up to me, hand me a GBA with 4 swords and say "play this" . my reaction "Heck ya . . . you randum bast..."

I'm planning back light and power mod's to 4 old style GBA's, just to link to the Game Cube. ... ya four sword's

hyjack over.

do you have a GBA and SP to gut?
this might help on gutting the Sp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9CitT5Sys

As far as I remember, the GBASP motherboard is too big vertically to fit in the GBA case, why not just backlight a GBA? Thats the only advantage short of rechargable batteries, and rechargable battery packs exist for the GBA.

Kickback said:
As far as I remember, the GBASP motherboard is too big vertically to fit in the GBA case, why not just backlight a GBA? Thats the only advantage short of rechargable batteries, and rechargable battery packs exist for the GBA.

Pretty sure you can only frontlight the original GBA.

Front light is ok, but back light is so much nicer.

So a little more case mod to make the Sp fit, and relocate the cart slot so the screen will work right, and a bunch of other pain in the ass stuff and killing of time, then it might work.

Or... rip the top screen off a first gen DS and your good to go, or atleast just for the GBA game's part.

As for the four I want to make, I dont think the DS can do GBA games in multy player modes or link to the game cube. so its GBA / Sp only for me.

Your best bet for this project is to rip the frontlight out of a gbasp, and put it in a gba. Then you can buy or make a rechargeable battery for it, which would be pretty simple.

Mr. Hooker said:
Front light is ok, but back light is so much nicer.

Remember that most SP's have frontlights, the AGS-101 has a backlight.

Teaser:

splcd.JPG

This is only about 1/5th of the wires this will require.

Backlit GBASP LCD on the original GBA. I'm just piggybacking the ZIF socket on the GBASP motherboard, though it looks like I'll have to direct solder to the LCD as it seems to not work hooked up to both.

Bibin said:
Backlit GBASP LCD on the original GBA. I'm just piggybacking the ZIF socket on the GBASP motherboard, though it looks like I'll have to direct solder to the LCD as it seems to not work hooked up to both.
I fail to see the point of this.

theres a bunch of us who just want more out of the original GBA.
Its a fun project to work on for well under $50.
and offers something for people of a lot of different skill levels to work on.

SonyQrio said:
Bibin said:
I fail to see the point of this.

Says the blind man!

You can't figure out why you might want the obviously superior backlit LCD from the SP in the housing of the original GBA?

The original GBA feels so much better in your hands, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back