Gameboy link cable to PC

R00man

The other day I was thinking to myself "how great would it be if someone could manage to connect a Gameboy to a computer via link cable and take true advantage of emulation" games such as pokemon use the link cable to transfer pokemon and also battle. As I began to look for projects attempting this I found this site http://www.devrs.com/gb/hardware.php. This site has many different schematics to interface your gameboy to your PC (scroll down to the Gamelink section). This gave me hope in creating such a useful tool. I figured the GBA link cable would be a better choice for this because it has GBA and GB capabilities. So does anyone know 1. How these projects work. 2. If the GBA and GB cables use the same data. 3. If it would actually be possible to interface with an emulator.
If you know anything on the subject please tell me as I would like to be something done about this. :)
EDIT: Also thought this would help on the emulation end of things http://www.vbalink.info/

Those Projects on that page have specific purposes, and you wouldn't really wanna touch them for anything like this.

The GBA and GB use very different serial communications, I would not expect any level of compatibility.

It would be totally possible to make your own Link Cable rig for this, even just a simple USB to GB cord, it really wouldn't be terribly difficult.
But interfacing with an Emulator?
Possible, but not by any means trivial.

That was my thought but maybe I could try contacting the VBA devteam and see what they can cook up

You mean that emulator they stopped making over 4 years ago?
Yeah, don't get your hopes up on that.

There are of course people who are still working on branches off of it, but almost entirely for Dev and Debugging purposes.

If I put the time into making an interface like this, using it with an emulator would not be my primary goal.

Im interested in what else it could be used for besides linking, Like what other advantages would come from this

an xboo cable is similar to what you are looking for. It connects to the serial port of a computer, and the link portion of a gba. It can communicate with xboo communicator and I believe no$gba emulator. google it.

I know gameboy printer emulation has been done, with a parallel cable I believe. Useful for game boy camera and not much else.

Back