Gameboy Color frontlight correction.

Bowman

Newb
I had this problem (below), and now I am trying to correct it by replacing the sp led and ribbon with my own white led, but will still use the sp frontlight. Having led issues now though (further below).

Upon powering up the gameboy, the lcd screen and sound also turned on. However, the frontlight was still dark. I then took out the light and found that the top part of the ribbon cable had somehow partially peeled away from the bottom sheet (the bottom being the part that used to connect to the sp lcd), and the two metal bits to which the wire was soldered were left on the bottom part. This is of course a big problem; the screen light is getting no power. I tried to use electrical tape to secure the two parts of the ribbon cable such that the metal foil embedded in the top sheet was in contact with the proper parts of the bottom segment, but I can not seem to get a good enough connection.

Is there any other part of the frontlight that the wires may be soldered to? It really stinks that I will have to buy a new one; gsp replacement screens are quite expensive. It's too bad that this didn't work, I really wanted it to :(

Edit:

Now I see that the ribbon cable connects to a tiny led on the end of the screen light, doesn't look like there is any other place to connect my wires. Has anyone ever used a different led with the frontlight? I was thinking I would just throw a white led on the end and call it a day. What kind of led should I use?

Re: Gameboy Color frontlight problems

i had the exact same problem with my gbc frontlight project. i made it work with a 3mm white led at the end of the light screen replacing the previous lcd.

even though it worked as well, my light screen was so scratched and smugged by that time that i took it apart again, but otherwise, it`s a great solution. hope this helped buddy

Re: Gameboy Color frontlight problems

@ Tsukimaru: Thanks for your input!

I am starting to get the feeling that part of my problem is the wire that I am using. I asked a family member to pick me up some 20-22 gauge copper wire, and I was given some silvery wire that did not look at all like copper. Maybe it is though.
I am trying to troubleshoot some problems that I am having, so I wired an led to the battery and power switch, and used a 47 ohm resistor. When I turn on the cgb, the led does not light up. Is the voltage too low, should try it with another/no resistor? I want to make sure I can get an led to work before I start messing around with the frontlight again (it scratches and collects tons of dust, I have been cleaning it successfully with a very fine cloth designed for microelectronics). Here is a picture of what I describe above:
Snapshot_20120716_1.jpg

Back