Future-proof Desktop Configuration? (Hardware, etc)

J.D

No Stranger To Love
I know it is hard to predict the future, but I wiill be building a desktop computer for Christmas 2011. I want it to run games on high settings until at least 2013, and I want this desktop to be upgradeable (please disregard any of my previous opinions on upgrading.)

So, I can get Windows 7 Ultimate for like $75, so I'll be getting that. I will also be getting the same 3D monitor that Palmertech currently has, unless something better comes out this summer for a reasonable price. Other then that, where should I start? My budget is at $1200, MAXIMUM.

Just wait. AMD releases the Bulldozer platform next year, and Intel drops to 22 nm process.
On the graphics side, ATI will probably be in the 6000 series.

If you have to buy it now, at least wait for Sandy Bridge.

They're platforms. They'll have several different offerings at different price levels.

edit: I wanted to explain it a bit more.
AMD's planned Bulldozer platform is a new ground up designed microarchitecture, meaning they could be incredibly good.
Intel should be switching to smaller chips (22 nm) by next year, which usually means more power efficiency and performance gains.
ATI should be the same as intel with 28 nm(more efficient/powerful).

Even if the new stuff is out of your price range, the old stuff will be cheaper. And they will still last a while.

If you want it now though, get a radeon hd 5770(best bang for the buck, what I got today) and a phenom ii 550 black edition or 555 black edition and a nice asus motherboard with 6Gbps sata and usb 3.0 support. Make sure the thing can unlock cores too, so you can have your full 4 core cpu for the price of a 2. Get some nice fast ram too, so you won't have to upgrade it later.

Zero said:
Don't start shopping for things until you have the money.
Christmas + Birthday :D I will have 2 of each before I get to build my desktop. I suppose I can get the RAM and case for my birthday, then...

Well, you can wait, but you don't have to. I built my Core 2 Quad rig when Nehalem was just around the corner (actually, I think it was already released). It's still going strong. To paraphrase MaximumPC- Bulldozer may be on its way, but Core and Phenom are here today. Processors from Intel kick the flax out of AMD ones- their latest hexacore can't beat a Core i7 Quad. However, there is a rumour that the upcoming AMD processors will work in AM3 motherboards.

I will have to upgrade the hard drive soon. Don't skimp on the hard drive. I thought 320GB would be more than I would ever need. Get a 1.5TB or 2TB drive. Also, get a good power supply. Cooler Master has some low-priced ones that are better than the cheapys, but won't cost an insane amount of money.

As for graphics, I'm using a Radeon HD 4670 and I can run most stuff at high settings, 1680X1050 resolution. I doubt it would run Crysis, though. I don't know of any games that would really push it, but I've played MW2, the Mass Effect 2 Demo, and a lot of older stuff. The only thing that really makes my rig lag is Garry's Mod, and I think that makes everything lag.

XCVG said:
Well, you can wait, but you don't have to. I built my Core 2 Quad rig when Nehalem was just around the corner (actually, I think it was already released). It's still going strong. To paraphrase MaximumPC- Bulldozer may be on its way, but Core and Phenom are here today. Processors from Intel kick the flax out of AMD ones- their latest hexacore can't beat a Core i7 Quad. However, there is a rumour that the upcoming AMD processors will work in AM3 motherboards.
Yeah, AMD said they would support AM3 untill 2011.

I like amd better for its price and performance, and the ability to so easily overclock every little thing about it.

If I had the money for the highest end Nvidia and Intel flax, I would get it.

Dude, christmas 2011? You'll probably have decided not to build a pc by then, and even if you have't, all the stuff from today will be old tech.

That's a long time away, and there's no doubt you'll see something and want it before then and think "DO WANT". I probably wouldn't be able to wait that long, and just go "ah *Can'tSayThisOnTV* it"

You see, the reason I'm holding off until 2011 is that I've had this rig of a laptop for less then a year, and I was hoping to get a 2 year life span out of it. After this laptop has served 2 years, I'll build a desktop.

BUT THE MONEY ISSUES ;_;

I'll have to get employed next summer, I guess.

Back