Fried screen, wrong pinout?

skinkt

I bought a 7in tv screen, that worked just fine with my gc (Im starting to build a portable). That until I tried to power it from the gc motherboard. The manuals say it runs from 9-12v, so I just ran it from the back of the power plug in the mobo (V+,V-)

7bZQi0hl.jpg

I soldered the other end to the VDD and GND spots on my screen motherboard, and as soon as I turned the gc on, a mini explosion sound came from the screen. It didnt work anymore, the power light turns on, and the backlight too, but the screen is dimmed with strange lines, and it gets HOT. Did I connect the wrong spots? I thought VDD was positive, but Im a noob at this. Or 12v was too much for the screen?

IdGoJ2yl.jpg

SqVbCZPl.jpg

abIjWEal.jpg

bD1oOBkl.jpg

lYqREV3l.jpg

btw Im not planning to put batteries, just power the screen from the gc..

Sorry about this, but yeah you killed your screen.

VDD is NOT the power in! There should be a port somewhere on the screen's board that says "12V+" or "VIN" and "12V-" or "VOUT" which are power and ground respectively.

Yeah you just fried it now that I really look at what you did. Those pads are used for programming one of the chips on that board.

7yru5egy.jpg

In the image is where the power goes. You would have needed to figure out positive and negative on the board on the other side of that connector. Also, you could have found the regulator that goes to and see what it output and the drop the voltage your self there at whatever that regulator was outputting.

DuHasst0 said:
Yeah you just fried it now that I really look at what you did. Those pads are used for programming one of the chips on that board.

7yru5egy.jpg

In the image is where the power goes. You would have needed to figure out positive and negative on the board on the other side of that connector. Also, you could have found the regulator that goes to and see what it output and the drop the voltage your self there at whatever that regulator was outputting.

yeah, I was totally sure that I killed it, the thing is, I'll probably get another one of these, cuz theyre cheap, and look pretty good. So you say that I should look for the positive and negative on the backside of the board? Here are a bunch of pictures of it.

If you could tell me where to look at it would be awesome, Im a total noob at circuits, thats why I probably wont put batteries in this. As you can see, there's no 12v+ or Vin anywhere on the board...

uwcT81Zl.jpg

pXNXub2l.jpg

xZzANkxl.jpg

Oh, and probably a stupid question... could I just cut the DC adapter and wire the cables to the gc motherboard, and just connect the plug in the DC jack of the screen on the other end?

Re: Re: Fried screen, wrong pinout?

skinkt said:

Lower left hand corner, that's whew the power comes in at. You could cut it but I would use desolder braid (wick), or a desolder pump to remove that connector. You can re-purpose that connector if you can get it off the board nicely. If you want to connect power from the gc main board that is dependant on the revision of the board. If it's a rev c you can there is a spot on the board that says 12v next to it. Rev a/b would come from your regulator board or via zenlocs custom regulator.

Honestly I suggest you take a read through all the stickies in the mega sticky. I'm not talking just the original post, read everything.

BtheDestroyer said:
skinkt said:
the thing is, I'll probably get another one of these, cuz theyre cheap, and look pretty good.
Where'd you buy it from and how much? I've been looking for good screen retailers
Well, I'm from Chile so I think it's a bit far from you... :) it was 20 bucks tho, that's really cheap around here.

Back