Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable worklog (9/8/12) (Canceled)

Gamerlolwind

hay eveyone,
i did a "gamble" mod recently to see if the ps2 fat can run without a Dvd drive, if it does, I'm going to make it into a ps2p.
i removed it, and booted the system with freemcboot on memory card one and it worked :)
so, I'm making it into a fat portable free mcboot with loading games from USB drive.

here are my pics of the system dissembled down to the board with the various parts:

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

it'll be made from cardboard case, with wall power (and possibly batteries!?).

this is my 7inch screen i told ya all about with my other li po good battery that i have taped up in pvc black tape.

photo3.jpg

with the battery shown, here is my semi, portable ps2, the screen will go on the bottom of the portable, the battery will go on it's side that the battery is on like in my previous pic, also is my setup safe and good? any good/useful/helpful info is needed/welcome :) :) thanx

photo4.jpg

and here is my bad battery opened up to show the inside.

photo5.jpg

so, that's at. all i need is your info/feedback/ useful help/beast tips and I'm almost finished with making my portable.

also, portable has no DD drive, runs on freemcboot, and games via usb on OPL v0.8.

Update: 13/7/12!!!!

everyone, i charged my screen and it worked :) the battery charged like normal, red light charging and when finished it went green :) yay :)

Pictures:

screen battery charging:

IMG_0586.jpg

battery case (i had a small GBA candy thing a friend gave me from austral from grade 4) so i used this for the battery case, taped it etc and it works awesomely :)

IMG_0587.jpg

screen battery charging complete , battery powers screen for 2 hours :) yay. also indicates when battery is nearly finished and ready to charge again

IMG_0588.jpg

my setup (pic's kinda unclear) anyways, I'm using a 7inch screen, really good qalaty, av input/output. great for ps2/gc

IMG_0589.jpg

testing screen with gameplay from FF XII via usb drive on OpenPS2Loader V0.8!!!

IMG_0590.jpg

aslo, so happy about system modded working fully and screen modded and fully working!!!!!

this means.... i only need to get the special ps2 controller for my portable and then it'll be complete :)

oh yeah, my own ps2 portable i built, yay and a fat, my original ps2p was going to be a slim, but i wretched it but plugging in an v8.5 battery etc firing the system :(.

23/7/12

here are some pictures of my ps2p in it's current state, (nearly complete, all i need is the ps2 controller)

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

31/7/12

i added the AV screen cable and PS2 AV cables with RCA jack thing on the back of my ps2p with lots of LOGO tape and celotape.

IMG_0617.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_0618.jpg

will add the RCA jack, but need to get controller first and add that on the back too before i secure the back fully.

3/8/12

hay everyone, i found out the problem which my screen's color.
i used the screen from a PD700 unit on the board of a PD7000 unit, so the color is not like this:

P1020021.jpg

which is the correct color,
but it looked like this instead:

IMG_0590.jpg

tried fixing it by adjusting contrast/brightness/color nothing :(.

so i threw that screen away and went to my local store and bought another PD7000D unit for 100 Euros:

IMG_0622.jpg

now, color's like normal.
yes, i know stupid mistake mixing a screen of a different model with a different motherboard unit :(.

9/8/12

hay guys, more updates for everyone on my ps2p progress!!!

current system state(updated with screen):

IMG_0621.jpg

and i finally got the 64GB usb i wanted/needed for playing my games via OPL 0.8/0.7 :)
my amazon order of the usb never came, even after i tried contacting and asking the seller to help fix the problem, but i went to my local computer store and bought myself a Turbo X 64GB uSB flash drive for 69.00 Euro :)

IMG_0623.jpg

now i can put all my ps2 converted games on it and play via OPL :)

and i figured out a cool name for my portable, instead of it being called "Fatty Ps2 portable"
it is now called:

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable!!!!

000650_25.jpg

what inspired me to give it this name is the charater Benny from Phat Beach, awesome black movie, 2001. love it :)
it's so funny, check it out if you haven't heard/seen it at all, it's good :)

anyways,

1) fat cause benny is fat, also the ps2 model i have goes into the Fat category of the ps2 family,
2) boy cause beeny is a man, anyways, boy from gameboy, no specific reason,

yeah, now my fat boy ps2p has a new screen fully working, and 64gb usb for loading all my games and an official name :) :) :)

Re: Fatty PS2 portable worklog (23/7/12)

well if you dont wanna remove the power supply you would need at lest 14.8 to 20 v so if you do remove it the minimum aferd will be 7.8v and the maximum 11.1v and no you dont need a multimiter just look really close and you will see that 2 pins are connected to the gnd or batter said conected to all the bored and the other 2 are just in a square , just show me a pic of it with out the power supply and with out the metal cover

thecasperrojas said:
well if you dont wanna remove the you would need at lest 14.8 to 20 v so if you do remove it the minimum aferd will be 7.8v and the maximum 11.1v and no you dont need a multimiter just look really close and you will see that 2 pins are connected to the gnd or batter said conected to all the bored and the other 2 are just in a square , just show me a pic of it with out the power supply and with out the metal cover

so, if I'm getting this info right,

if i remove the power supply, then the battery power (volts) will be:

Max - 11.1v
Min - 7.8v

if i keep the power supply as is, then the battery power (volts) will be:

Max - 20v
Min - 14.8v

if i keep the power supply and addd a battery, then do i solder the battery points to a ps2 fat connector cable or solder to the long pins?

and what type of battery is best to use for the ps2?

and what mah? 2200? 4000? or 6600?

i'll see if i can take a pic of the long pins without the peer supply and metal cover.

The more mAh, the longer the batteries will last.

just it to the long pin , and the more mah the batter so thats up to you just don't put more then 5000 mah or you will kill the fuse right beside the long positive pin , if i get time al make a video of it running with the ps2 slims wall power adapter

thecasperrojas said:
just it to the long pin , and the more mah the batter so thats up to you just don't put more then 5000 mah or you will kill the fuse right beside the long positive pin , if i get time al make a video of it running with the ps2 slims wall power adapter

nice, thanx for the useful info,

so, the battery i should use if i keep the power supply is minimum a 14.8v,
and the mAH should be 5000< mah,

how's this battery, will it work fine?

http://www.amazon.com/Li-Ion-18650-Preo ... im_sbs_e_5

with an charger specifically for it:

http://www.amazon.com/TLP-2000-Tenergy- ... y_e_text_b

a video showing a battery powering a ps2 slim would be great, i can figure out how to properly use a battery with your video, many thanx

can't wait to see it :)

gamer

thecasperrojas said:
just it to the long pin , and the more mah the batter so thats up to you just don't put more then 5000 mah or you will kill the fuse right beside the long positive pin
What? The battery capacity will do nothing to hurt the PS2. He could use a 1000000Ah battery and it would be fine. The voltage is what you need to worry about killing things. The capacity is just how long it will last.

What's up with all the cardboard?

vskid3 said:
thecasperrojas said:
just it to the long pin , and the more mah the batter so thats up to you just don't put more then 5000 mah or you will kill the fuse right beside the long positive pin
What? The battery capacity will do nothing to hurt the PS2. He could use a 1000000Ah battery and it would be fine. The voltage is what you need to worry about killing things. The capacity is just how long it will last.

ah, okay so the capacity can be any mah, but the volts must be specific or the ps2 won't get any power to run.

so, what should the voltage be so the ps2 can run for 2hours, lets say?
8.5v?
or a 14.8v li ion battery?

keep in mind that I'm using the ps2 power supply thing that the FAT model has,

not sure if this changes anything.

so, for two hours like my screen's battery,
how much Mah do i need to reach 2hours of battery life for the ps2?

ProgMetalMan said:
What's up with all the cardboard?

well,
it's an easy material to cut out, shape and use.
not very messy, like plastic or styrofoam and it's very efficient if your careful with it.

plus, i have tons of it.

sure, esthetically it doesn't look appealing to the viewer's eye, being a first ps2p fat portable no soldering done (expect for the battery pack to ps2 power cord)

Gamerlolwind said:
ah, okay so the capacity can be any mah, but the volts must be specific or the ps2 won't get any power to run.

8.5v?
or a 14.8v ?

The mAh tells you how long your portable will last. If the PS2 + Screen pulls around 2A then 2000mAh batteries will last 1 hour. 4000mAh will last 2 hours, 8000mAh will last 4 hours. See?

The voltage will need to be the proper voltage to run the PS2. If you need 8.5v then you will need to use at least 11.1 Lithiums and the use a power regulator to get the voltage down to around 8.5v - 9v for the PS2.

hailrazer said:
Gamerlolwind said:

8.5v?
or a 14.8v ?

The mAh tells you how long your portable will last. If the PS2 + Screen pulls around 2A then 2000mAh batteries will last 1 hour. 4000mAh will last 2 hours, 8000mAh will last 4 hours. See?

The voltage will need to be the proper voltage to run the PS2. If you need 8.5v then you will need to use at least 11.1 Lithiums and the use a power regulator to get the voltage down to around 8.5v - 9v for the PS2.

yep, i see. thanx for the clearance, hail :)
it's super easy to understand now.

okay, so since i want the battery for the ps2(it'll power only the ps2 as the screen has it's own Li ion polymer pack 3.7 x 2 1800mah, which is 2 hours)
an Li ion 11.1v would be the best choice,
and at 4000mAh, will be 2 hours like the screen?

and, since the ps2 voltage is 8.5v better, i tried 9v and my slim burnt out after that.
if i buy an 11.1v li ion 4000 mah and use a step down regulator to bring the volts to 8.5v then it'll work.

also, im going to join to the regulator the ps2 fat connector thing, i have opened one up found the two wires it has, (blue and brown) not sure which one is positive and which is negative?

oh, and im also using the ps2 power supply that the fat has, if the voltage is correct the ps2 will run like normal on battery like on wall power?

and what regulator should i get?
here's a site i got one of my regulators from:

http://24x7diy.com/index.php/cPath/28/o ... d4a41dc821

which one of these is best suited for my use?

i checked amazon com just now and they don't have the 11.1v 4400mah, but the 11.1v 2200mah.

This project is canceled and im changing the portable's way and name into a new one.

The new one will be a ps2 slim ver, using built in freemcboot and memory card (128mb)

check a look out for the new PS2P project :)

Back