Enabling YPbPr on display drive boards with native support

Shank

Formerly Known As Dyxlesci
So while looking into display chips, I discovered that quite a few of the current small LCD displays use this same chip: RTD2660. Here is a picture, as there is a good chance your display may use this chip.
zX7UTB3l.jpg

And I began looking into its data sheet...

http://aitendo3.sakura.ne.jp/aitendo_da ... 60.jsp.pdf

And I discovered something rather interesting...

Xv65Y9f.jpg

Reading through the data sheet, I saw countless references to accepting Y/Pb/Pr component video. Ctl-F that sucker for Pb or Pr yourself to see all the information. But my display doesn't have that option in the source menu. The chip has 2 different VGA (RGBHV) inputs, but it appears the RGB inputs double as YPbPr component video. I have another display that uses the same lines for VGA and ypypr, but I can change to ypbpr in the source menu. So here lies the question: if this chip supports this video natively, how do we enable it? So many displays use this chip, and YPbPr out, (with the obvious exception of HDMI) is the best video source available to us console users. This could be a really big breakthrough, as we could get great, efficient, and inexpensive displays that have progressive video support without all the glitches that come with VGA modding.

I have seen a little bit about some type of usb converter you can use to program the chips, but Im not much of a software guy, so even if it wasn't engrish I would have a hard time understanding it. This is it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-port-progra ... 53f80e2bcd

Anybody know anything about this kind of stuff?

Re: Enabling YPbPr on display drive boards with native suppo

Considering that the display chip is most likely a fpga, I don't think you can really pull of the source code. That would make it really hard to enable support, and completely reprogramming the chip would be a waste of time.

Wouldent it just be changing one variable to enable that video channel? If I were to guess it would be (on my board) something along the lines of
Composite 1: True; Video 1
Composite 2: True; Video 2
SVideo1: False
SVideo2: False
VGA 3: True; Video 3
VGA 4: False
YPbPr 3: False
YPbPr 4: False
HDMI: True; Video 4

And change it to:

Composite 1: True; Video 1
Composite 2: True; Video 2
SVideo1: False
SVideo2: False

VGA 3: True; Video 3
VGA 4: False
YPbPr 3: False
YPbPr 4: True; Video 5
HDMI: True; Video 4

The data lines seem to be dual purpose; I have another screen that will accept the YPbPr straight into the RBG lines, but it has to be set to a different channel. Is it something as simple as enabling a disabled feature, or is something that requires reprograming a whole new set of video conversion code?

The are 2 situations that I think would happen.

1.) Your lucky and the company that makes those composite screens make component screens and just disable the component on the composite screens, so all ypu have to do is re enable them.

2.) The company only made composite screens so you would have to program composite functionality.

The board I have features composite, vga, and HDMI. But its not really the board I'm concerned about, its the chip

They're microprocessors that are designed by RealTek and not available to consumers directly through a parts distributor like mouser or digikey. The info is on tight lock down and you can only use them after paying a hefty fee and signing non disclosure agreements. But when that's done they give you all kinds of support so it's really just for big companies.

Unless the info is leaked into the chinese market and they mass produce them there. Which is where these LCD's always come from. I've been trying to figure out lcd controlling for a little while now and it's not an easy task.

This guy has some good info here.

He's also published software called rovatools that you can use to change some things like the UI and the like but you need a weird programmer that goes through VGA.

Well that's unfortunate. I just want ypbpr and the data sheet says ypbpr. I'm not looking to copy or modify it to function outside the parameters of their spec sheet.

Is there some alternative on the market that could serve the desired purpose?

Seems that it's only 4 wires and a few resistors, I'm guessing (after a bit of research) the DDC lines, power and ground, not too bad really, after that it's just running the software

Edit: also the board that's hooked up via USB looks like a standard adafruit adapter

Back