ElementalCube

Elemental

So I'm making a GCP. I'm calling it the ElementalCube because it sounds cool and my username is Elemental. I've already(technically) started making it, but I'll be pretending that I haven't. So what I have gotten done so far is:
-took apart the gamecube
-been experimenting with some speakers
-found a load of wires of different lengths and colours
-found my soldering gun and solder
-found some capacitors(I think? I don't know. They're probably useless, might post pics if I can figure out what I'm going to take them with...)
-started making a list of things that I need to buy
-took apart a third party controller and got the buttons and board out of there(surprisingly and nicely symmetrical, it was a mad catz controller)
-took apart two of my brothers identical toys and got some buttons out of there that looked nice, also speakers(you know, the kind that you find in a lot of childrens toys)
-tested those speakers with my laptop and a male to male(i think thats what its called) audio cord(SUCCESS)
-I have a very convenient amount of KFCA06TP85 tact switches laying around...
Here is the list of stuff I need to buy:

-PTR08100WVD + 903 Ohm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps

-PTH08080WAZ + 1.87 kOhm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not needed)

-PTH08080WAZ + 348 Ohm resistor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not needed)

-wiikey fusion

-LCD screen

-dremel

-some sort of case(probably a zn-45 or zn-40)

To do:

-Buy:
-All of the above
-Order a new gamecube probably considering I (probably) fried my regulator and I (might have) fried my mobo and I (for sure) fried the board that the power button is on

-Figure out why on this site the parts cost more than just buying a gamecube...(parts are rougly 11$ each, gamecube is roughly 50$, even just three parts cost you more than buying one gamecube... 'what is math', says the website...)

-Get clarification on how to build a custom regulator. What do I put the things on. What even. How.

Pictures:
Coming soon

Hey, you know, $18 plus shipping is still an okay price to pay for a reliably workibg motherboard delivered to your house. Though over $30 for the disc drive alone (if that's what it is) goes over the top. I do look forward to seeing this project come along. I hope everything goes smoothly, but we all now there are plenty of twists and turns.

Update:
This isn't really much of an update, considering I haven't really accomplished anything towards the console, but I have run into a thing. I've got the regulator plugged into the mobo, but the mobo doesn't seem to be getting any power. I think I might have fried it. Either that or the regulator... Does anybody have any suggestions? Where on the regulator(besides the connecter) can I check for current?

Hi,

According to the Kasar's GCp guide (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1654)you find this:
EKOxDN1l.jpg

With a multimeter test the voltage between the ground (pin 12) and the pin with the voltage you need. Personaly, I found a alternative 12v on the part in the yellow circle in the picture, my pin 21 doesn't supply it anymore.

Hope it's helping

Thank you so much, that helped a lot. I bridged the 5A fuse earlier yesterday, and that didn't do anything. But I just tested the voltages of the things you circled in yellow and that was alright. I tested it with ground and the solder on the fuse that I bridged and I got 12v, and I got it with the other thing that was identical to the things you circled in yellow that was just above the white plugin for the switch assembly and also got 12v, however, I could not get any voltage from the connector. I think I fried the connector? Because when I plugged it in backwards to the mobo(yes, i did this,) there was a burning smell. I didn't test any voltages before that because I barely knew what I was doing, so that probably fried it. I just don't understand why it only fried the connector, or how that is even possible. Can anybody help me out?

thecasperrojas said:
Thats incorrect the pins in blue are 1.9v and the one in grey is 3.4v

You're right just check with my multimeter, apologize I just took info from Kasar's guide:
bridge pins 16,17 and 18 at regulator board, and wire them to pins 6,7,16,17,18,19 of the motherboard which needs to be bridged to the system to get 3.4v along those pins.

bridge pins 2 and 13 from the MOBO and wire them to pin 13 of the regulator board to get 1.9v

Anyway, for the 12v I had the same problem, and need 12v for my screen, I found the solution of the "yellow circle", the usual 12v connector (pin 21) seems broken...

PS: I update the picture.

Back