DS Lite Top Screen?

BlueLink77

Alright guys, I've got a white DS Lite and something is messing up with the top screen. When flexing the hinge a bit the screen will flash white then go back. This makes it at some points unplayable and not worth it. I'm thinking since it will show the image perfectly without touching it, it's probably a connection deal. And tips on where to look? I've never peered into my DSL :/

Thanks a bunch!

I actually have a DS top screen somewhere. It's from a Phat though.

Yeah I think your right about the connection.

Just to give an idea, here's what's going on. It seems to have gotton worse over time. I haven't been playing my DSL, just picked it up recently.

I guess I'll have to pry it open and see if the ribbon cable is loose.

|EDIT| Alright I have opened it up, then put it back together. Still barely showing anything. I opened it up again, booted while opened and started to mess around. When I tap the ribbon cable coming from the main board that goes into the hinge, the picture is fine. When melded back into its original spot, epic fail. That ribbon cable must be bad. Is it as simple as getting a new screen that has that cable?Also just as a reference, this was a launch day DSL so I don't know what revisions these things have gone through.

Thanks a bunch you guys!

|EDIT 2| Broke the power switch >.< At least I'm not playing any DS games at the moment. Let's just hope that DealExtreme is fast with my order... Anybody know any good tips on replacing the power switch?

It should be an issue with the screen. Try to get a new one or borrow another one from a friend or something. Also, Since it was bought early when it first came out, it may have issues, so it could be parts of the motherboard.

I hate to bump this, but I was wondering if anyone has replaced a DS Lite switch.

I have been searching for a while and have been unable to locate anything, so any tips at all? Is it as simple as putting a fulcrum (like a pin) under the switch, touching the contacts, then re-soldering the new switch?

Also I read somewhere on some forum that someone peeled the casing off the broken switch and replaced just the black plastic arm piece.

Any suggestions at all?

there are some contacts my dad and I found once when we broke mine, you need a momentary push switch.(if michaelthurston hasn't sold the one I got him, he might still have the leads hanging around on that mobo)

mako321 said:
there are some contacts my dad and I found once when we broke mine, you need a momentary push switch.(if michaelthurston hasn't sold the one I got him, he might still have the leads hanging around on that mobo)
Yeah I found that if you touch the top two contacts, it powers on. I might do that as a last resort, but I do have two switches (they were like a dollar each) on the way, so I would prefer to replace it. :/

You could always just wire a tact switch to it if you only need to touch the contacts for a moment. If they need to stay touching, you could just use a SPST switch. (Slider)

BlueLink77 said:
I hate to bump this, but I was wondering if anyone has replaced a DS Lite switch.

I have been searching for a while and have been unable to locate anything, so any tips at all? Is it as simple as putting a fulcrum (like a pin) under the switch, touching the contacts, then re-soldering the new switch?

Also I read somewhere on some forum that someone peeled the casing off the broken switch and replaced just the black plastic arm piece.

Any suggestions at all?
Get accustomed to soldering small items. A fine tipped iron helps. Heat up the contacts as you pry the switch off. Tin the contacts on the board and the leads on the new switch. Use something other than your finger to hold the new switch down over the contacts and heat up the contacts as you hold it down.
Hope this helps :)

Don't know if this applies to your switch, but I desolder SMD by heating and lifting each pin, one at a time.

Back