Dreamcast VMU iPod Case Work

I'm pretty lucky to have an engraving department in my company's factory, one that is also willing to work with me on little projects. My current one is to turn a VMU into an iPod Nano case (inspired by the video below and relevant articles on it). Right now they're lasering and grinding out the excess plastic in the VMU's interior. The end result should be a much more polished product than the rough original that inspired my endeavor. Right now, amazingly unlike seemingly every other project I embark on, I don't have much that needs answering. But is anyone interested? I'm debating whether it'd be worth it to do a run of these.

Video (not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MdRtQ4H9k

UPDATE!

I'm making solid progress but still have work to do and need advice now more than ever...

The Good:
-The screen currently fits correctly and is held in place in the VMU.
-The Nano's ability to rotate it's screen makes for a chance to build a unit that never needs removal from the case!

The Bad:
-Permanently embedding this thing will be challenging.
-How can I make the power and volume buttons work? Current solution: Lacking
-How can I make a way to access the headphone jack? Current solution: embed a small extension like this:
adapter-for-apple-iphone-recessed-jack-35mm-male-female-extension-plug.jpg

2011-09-26_13-41-02_271.jpg

2011-09-26_13-41-43_357.jpg

I think my headphone jack solution will suffice, but the power and volume could be trickier. Any advise on how to essentially construct a button press extension on this scale?

Thanks for the tips!

I do believe I seen an accessory that would plug into the ipod and put all the controls up top. I'm not sure if they make one for the nano. If you can find something like that, I'd take it apart and wire all of the controls to some tact switches and put those behind the original buttons on the VMU.

budnespid said:
I do believe I seen an accessory that would plug into the ipod and put all the controls up top. I'm not sure if they make one for the nano. If you can find something like that, I'd take it apart and wire all of the controls to some tact switches and put those behind the original buttons on the VMU.

It sounds like you're much, much more versed in modding than I am. I'm a noob haha

I'm really, really not technical with this stuff. :sweat: I'm a Management major and English minor from college. Anyway, I'll post back when there's something new to share!

Basically, you can apart the ipod and extend the buttons with the use of wire and the buttons (really tact switches) from the ipod or some extra ones if you can't remove the buttons.

Update! I'll post pics and a vid once everything is done, but I solved the button problem! First, the Nano conveniently has volume control through the touch screen, so access to the volume buttons isn't a requirement. As for turning the unit on and off, I simply poked a spare VMU screw through the edge of the underside of the D pad. An in-and-up squeeze presses the power button on the iPod perfectly.

So now my thought is, maybe I'll do a small run of these. Thoughts?

Back