Drakon & Doug's overclocked superfx games

Drakon

Due to the popularity of my overclocked starfox 1 and 2 games people have taken a lot of interest in using the same overclock methods on other superfx games. A lot of people were curious to see just how fast you can get doom going on the snes. One guy in particular bought a doom cart and mailed it to my for free just for the sake of seeing how fast I could get it to go. I got the cart and tinkered with it last night. The game tops out at 30 mhz, anything faster caused the game to freeze as soon as it started drawing "3d" graphics. Here's the demo video comparing it:

This game wasn't as big of an improvement as other games since it already comes on a superfx 2 chip. But the difference is still noticable. The next game we're working on is stunt race fx. Stunt race fx is more of a pain because it's a game that needs the ability to save for it to be playable since it uses unlocks. Doom carts don't have a saving circuit so we used a winter gold to have a gsu 2 with a saving circuit. Doug already wired a stunt race fx maskrom onto the winter gold and he says the difference is already quite impressive even without the overclock. I'm excited about how stunt race fx is going to turn out.

Can definitely tell the difference in frame rates. While I can't stand FPS's on consoles, I love anything that has to do with Doom. Good job.

robm said:
Can definitely tell the difference in frame rates. While I can't stand FPS's on consoles, I love anything that has to do with Doom. Good job.

Thanks. Once again I want to thank robivy64 for giving me the idea of using a crystal oscillator on these carts as the other technique by marshallh didn't overclock at all. And of course doug because without his superfx maskrom rewiring I probably wouldn't have bothered making any of these.

Back