Dr._Mobo's first GCp: The Gameboy^3

Dr._Mobo

Hey Guys! This is a worklog for my first portable game system ever: The Gameboy^3 (it is supposed to be an exponent but it won't let me type it :cry4: ) Anyways, here are some pics of what I have so far. (captions are on far left because pics so big)

Wasp Fusion, 7 inch monitor, and controller succesfully installed (heatsink on the left is trimmed with mounted original GC fan)
betmnEXl.jpg

pic of GameCube playing Mario Kart: double dash from sd card
9c696Rfl.jpg

Because I am not selling this portable and I did not find any enclosures the right dimensions, I decided to make my enclosure out of wood.(Hopefully it will still look nice! :awesome: )
S0cqu0tl.jpg

iTTqp5Fl.jpg

Here is a rough sketch of what portable will look like:
EZLuNpQl.jpg

Sorry for large pictures didn't mean to make them THAT big!
Video coming soon!

I've gone ahead and made your pictures smaller. With Imgur, if you add an L to the end of the link before the file extension, it'll resize it to a "large thumbnail."

Everything looks pretty good so far. Going to be using custom regs?

Thx for the info! I was adding an "h" instead of an "L" at the end of link.

To answer your question though I have Rev C motherboard with built in regulator board and will not be using custom regs this time. I ordered 3 3.7 volt, 3200mah lipo batteries from battery space.com about 5 days ago and they should be coming soon. HERE IS A LINK TO BRIEF DEMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U98j4CERifM

If you're going for a 11.1v battery pack I think it will stop supplying power to the GC before it's fully depleted because the voltage will drop too low. A 14.8v pack wouldn't do that though.

UPDATE!

lpj2qmUl.jpg

Just got batteries, protection circuit and charger today. Only problem is I am not sure about using 11.1v instead of 14.8v. Is it unhealthy for the batteries not to deplete all the way? Is the extra battery time worth spending money on an extra battery, a 14.8volt protection circuit, and a 14.8v charger? If not bad for batts not to deplete all the way I will probably just keep 11.1v for my first portable.

I'm definitely the wrong person to answer this, but iirc, it is actually beneficial for batteries not to me fully depleted.

UPDATE: 6/3/15

IZjVDgrl.jpg

wwFdwuCl.jpg

Last night I wired up all of the extra controller ports and installed a switch to change between internal and external p1 port. Only thing is I wired them from behind and accidentally wired them backwards where p1 port is where p3 should be (facepalm). It doesn't matter to me though so I am going to leave it as is and just label the ports. I only did three external ports just because the main reason I have the ports is so my 2 siblings can play mario party and smash bros melee with me :D .

I used Bentomo's controller notes (http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7717) in combination with kasar's portable gamecube controller pinout diagram(http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1654) to wire it. The [wires that jump from port to port are for pin 6 on controller board because they all go to pin 5 on GC mobo(pin 6 on the far left has a wire that connects to pin 5 on GC). I technically also could have done the same thing with ground I think but I did not. I bridged pins 3 and 4 on controller board[/size] for each port because they both go to ground. Also, instead of wiring 5 volts to each individual port I just used one wire which is connected to where ribbon cable used to be (see my pic its on the bottom). This sends 5 volts to all ports. Hope this makes sense but feel free to ask questions and look at those links side by side while you wire for better explanation :lol:

Ah thanks, I sat down and looked at them side by side like you said and understand now thanks :D

Yes I did use SPDT switch... Sort of . I used DPDT switch just like you would use SPDT switch. To wire it up, you put internal controller's data line on 1 side of switch and p1 data line to pin on controller board on the other Side of switch. On the middle pin of the switch, put a wire connecting to p1 data line on gc mobo. Super simple once you figure out it's only 3 wires!

Update 6/12

Hey guys sorry for such a delayed update I was on a mission trip in Panama (Central America not Panama City in US) so I was not able to post anything for a week. This update is actually kind of old because I did this the night before the mission trip but I used Crash Bash's charge and play diagram to wire up my batteries to GC and every thing works!Video coming soon!
Br24La1l.jpg

I'm glad I asked Crash to build that diagram, also if you are flipping the switch to a different power source then you'll get a clean reboot.

Yes thank you for asking him it was very helpful! So if I switch power sources without turning it off first it will just reboot?

Yes, I talked to him on Skype about it and he said it'll involve a clean reboot if on when switching power sources.

Back