Downing's Computer Wall

Downing

*EDIT* Update 08/21: IT'S DONE!!!

Here are a few pics and a YT video. Not complicated, but I think it was still fun and unique! Let me know what you think!

The Finished Product.
DSC_0219.jpg

Keyboard and Mouse Pad Mounted
DSC_0220.jpg

Speakers in Place
DSC_0221.jpg

The Overall Unit
DSC_0218.jpg

*END UPDATE* Original Posts Resumes.

Hey guys,

I started a project yesterday just kind of on a whim, but I was pretty tired of every time I needed to do a bit of research on a project that I had to leave my shop, head upstairs and then even print out what it was I was looking for.

Well, I happened to have my wifes old desktop that she didn't use that I had put in a wi-fi internet card, but I didn't get signal from my router down stairs. What to do? Put the computer upstairs and run the lines down an existing hole in the floor where a wall radiator used to be. Using the monitor from the mini-cade which unfortunatly is KIA, I framed in an old opening where a window used to be, lined the back with a trash bag and was able to put the monitor, speakers and soon to be keyboard in place.

This is just the rough frame in and once I get all the componets working, I'll start the trim work. I had to cut and resolder the speaker cables together though and now I'm getting some nasty interference which I have to fix, but once that's done, this should be pretty sweet.

*Edit* Check latest posts for pics!

Made a lot more progress and in testing, everything is working with the exception of the media reader. I'm not sure if it's the reader itself (power light doesn't even come on) or if I just have a wire loose. But I spent over an hour making an extension for the reader so it would fit upstairs, but I don't think they were designed to work over a certain number of inches, in which case will be a pitty, but I'll play with it more later.

So here are some pics of the progress. I used the cable(s) of a PS1 controller as they had the most wires and the media reader took 9 wires and it was the closest I had. But like I said, I'll play with it some more later.

Should be getting the plywood tomorrow to start with the trim work, then I just need to work on the flip down shelf for the keyboard to sit on and fold up when I'm not using it. More updates later!

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

Pics from the first post because I moved the pics around on photobucket.
IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

On that USB media reader thing, you only actually need six wires. They can share ground and power, only the signal lines need to be separated.

It looks ghetto and below code, but awesome nonetheless. My plan is to mount an old laptop on the wall.

@ XCVG Oh I agree, but don't worry, I'm nowhere near done and I'm working on the ascetics next now that functionality is in place. With that said:

Made a bit more progress today. Picked up some 1/4 plywood and a couple hinges to make the platform for the keyboard. Unfortunately the media reader is out for the moment. Though XCVG said I only needed six which was cool, I spent another hour trying to fix the issues, even went with a different cable and still had the issues. So maybe in the future I'll get a USB SD reader so I can just plug it right into the HUB when I need it. No big deal.

Here are some more pics.

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

So much win.

Who needs to bring a laptop to a workshop when you can just put a computer in the wall.

Haaa thanks! Your thoughts are right in line with mine! I mean I could have brought my laptop down there, but really, if you have a spare computer and monitor that works for basic applications, why not use it for ways it was never intended? :twisted: Though I should mention that I can simply unplug the connections to the computer upstairs and plug them into my laptop and I can run that as well with out much difficulty.

I'm ready to start the trim work now so when I get home I'll be working away at this and hopefully get it most of the way complete so I can get back to my other project. I'll be replacing that mouse though with a wireless one too, that will help a bit with the cable clutter. Most of it should be covered though.

That does look cool. Keyboard I have now though was free. If I find my USB hub is running short on spaces that might be worth it, but meh...so far this has cost me $15 for the plywood/hinges and $10.00 for the speakers. I like cheap.

Made some more progress tonight. Got the speakers mounted with the back panels. I used some extra styrene and cut out the backs pretty rough but it worked out. Got some touch-ups to do on the paint on the left speaker because I over cut the back panel a bit, but it still looks pretty good. Got some more trimming to do, but it looks like it's coming along nicely.

Would have gotten further, but I've been going since 6am (not all on this obviously, just since 7pm) this morning and I'm starting to get a bit tired. Anyway, here are some pics.

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

Still got a bunch more trim work to do, but it's getting there. I was gonna stain it originally, but because I went with Plywood instead of pine for the trim, I have to paint it. Still will look good when it's done, but not what I originally wanted. Anyway, enough for tonight!

Just about done. Got the trim work finished off, holes filled and primer coat of paint on. We'll wait till this dries and tomorrow I'll put the finish coat of paint on it and it should be good to go. Good thing, this little on-a-whim project has taken close to a week! Anyway, some more pics!

DSC_0213-1.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Thanks! It's all done now! I just edited the first post if any of the Mods want to move this to the completed section! Thanks! Not overly complex or amazing, but I love it!

Back