"Don't copy that floppy 2"

nevermind1534

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009
To: ****)
Subject: SIIA Launches Don't Copy That Floppy Sequel

Today, SIIA launches its new anti-piracy video - “Don’t Copy That 2”. The video is a sequel to our 1992 “Don’t Copy That Floppy”video, which was a huge success in schools throughout the country and eventually became a cult phenomenon on YouTube.

The new video marks the return of MC Double Def DP, aka Digital Protector, as he continues his crusade against pirates of copyrighted works through rap music and humor - we’ve even included dancing Klingons! You can view the video on the Don’t Copy That Website or search for it on YouTube.

The video is intended to be fun to watch while also conveying the message that pirating software and content carries stiff penalties and can ruin your life. We hope “Don’t Copy That 2” will prevent piracy by helping people make better choices when it comes to downloading or purchasing copyrighted works. The video even concludes with an appearance from convicted software pirate Jeremiah Mondello, who issues a warning about the consequences of software piracy from a federal prison in Oregon.

As part of our outreach efforts, the Wall Street Journal provided exclusive coverage yesterday, including posting the “Don’t Copy That 2” video. Click here to see the article.

To expand our outreach to students with the new campaign, we will release an extended educational version of “Don’t Copy That 2” that will be distributed to classrooms later this year.

Please watch “Don’t Copy That 2,” rate it highly on YouTube, and share it with colleagues, friends, and especially teenagers with huge social networks of their own. The higher the ratings, the more visible the video will be to others and the more you’ll help us spread our anti-piracy message.

You can also download a copy of the video in podcast form on iTunes. Just search for “Don’t Copy That Floppy 2”.

Enjoy the video, and thanks for your help in getting it broadly distributed. If you have any questions, please contact Keith Kupferschmid, SVP Intellectual Property Policy & Enforcement, +1.202.789.4442.

Sincerely,

Ken Wasch, President
Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)
1090 Vermont Ave NW, 6th Fl
Washington, DC 20005

kwasch@siia.net
+1.202.789.4440

The first one was hilarious, but this new one doesn't seem as funny to me.

Either way:

They both suck. Stupid video made as propaganda by jerkwads. Didn't you read who it was created by? Plus it's not really funny and it's poorly made and cheesy.

bacteria said:
I quite enjoyed the video, however they miss the point, they are after people who copy and sell copies, yeah, that's a crime; however making a copy for yourself is not if you don't distribute it/sell it. So, by their own sentiment, if the guy in the video didn't sell the items, they can't have an issue with him! :dah:

It is a crime in the US; you can get sued by them (if you TONS of music in Limewire shared folder), but you can't go to Jail if you're not selling.

The thing about copyright law is that you only get prosecuted if you sue. GENERALLY companies won't go through the trouble if you use "backups" or make a few copies for your friends. It's filesharing sites and pirates who sell that they generally go after.

Well, considering that these big companies aren't willing to share, I just say don't download their stuff. Or buy it, for that matter. Just let it rot. Maybe when they realize that we've discovered better movies for a whole lot less (free) and these films are made by us, what are they gonna do?
I don't think that piracy of stuff is a good idea, period. It's illegal, and wrong, because these multimilliondollar companies can't hire a few twelve year olds to tell them that they should be using p2p to their benefit. Nope.
So, let's just ignore their stuff. No buying, no illegal downloads, just ignore it. Make your own movies, make them good, and give them away on p2p networks, along with the message that we should just ignore Hollywood and their proprietary films. It'll be like switching from Micro$oft to Linux, and it might have been a kinda rough transition initially, since Linux was originally a little rough around the edges from what I heard. But guess what? They improved, and so shall we.
BTW, what will we call it? Linuwood?

Jourdy288 said:
Well, considering that these big companies aren't willing to share, I just say don't download their stuff. Or buy it, for that matter. Just let it rot. Maybe when they realize that we've discovered better movies for a whole lot less (free) and these films are made by us, what are they gonna do?
I don't think that piracy of stuff is a good idea, period. It's illegal, and wrong, because these multimilliondollar companies can't hire a few twelve year olds to tell them that they should be using p2p to their benefit. Nope.
So, let's just ignore their stuff. No buying, no illegal downloads, just ignore it. Make your own movies, make them good, and give them away on p2p networks, along with the message that we should just ignore Hollywood and their proprietary films. It'll be like switching from Micro$oft to Linux, and it might have been a kinda rough transition initially, since Linux was originally a little rough around the edges from what I heard. But guess what? They improved, and so shall we.
BTW, what will we call it? Linuwood?

Umm.... no?

Openwood?

When you can make a home movie that is Hollywood-good, I'll sign on. Until then, I'll just keep watching the real thing.

Also, if they think they can eliminate piracy they are stupid. People will keep copying and selling, or downloading despite any laws or anti-copy measures. This applies to movies AND music.

Me? Well, I admit I do occasionally rip a song off YouTube, and if I made a video the soundtrack would be copyrighted, but I'm not planning on making copies and selling them any time soon.

Well, it'll need some work (and a team) but I think it can be done.
I'm not trying to rally you guys, and ATM I'm too busy to pull this off. But, I bet it can and will be done. Free film is the future!

Jourdy288 said:
Well, it'll need some work (and a team) but I think it can be done.
I'm not trying to rally you guys, and ATM I'm too busy to pull this off. But, I bet it can and will be done. Free film is the future!

Have you ever worked in the film industry? Back when I was a lot younger, I did as an actor. I quit when I realized that auditions were killing my life, but my agent still calls me once in a while when there is a good match that I actually have a shot at. And let me tell you, I worked a LOT in the independent film industry. Look, these people were driven by a passion to make amazing movies, and it was their life goal. But the fact of the matter is that without highly paid movie teams and money for expensive gear, you will never move beyond "artsy" as the highest praise your movie can garner. It is simply not feasible to make good movies without being paid, and to be honest, it never will be.

You could play the "Well, tech will get better/cheaper" card, and that is true. But keep in mind, as the lower end moves, so does the higher end.

In short, free, user produced content has a future. But it is not the future.

Yes, I have, and I am familiar with the concept. But "DIY Film" simply does not work on a large scale. And if they do get good enough, then they either need to actually go commercial to make money (Most of them have this as a dream), or stop making film and get real jobs to pay the bills.

Nice concept, not practical.

Back