Do I need a new one? :(

I don't know what's wrong with your screen, but I think I know why the guy is there. If you bought the screen used, somebody might've been playing a dvd on it and paused it. If the screen was left on too long with that image, I guess it might've "burned" the image onto the lcd.

Argh, I actually don't know, but I want to who the man with the shades is.

zeturi said:
I don't know what's wrong with your screen, but I think I know why the guy is there. If you bought the screen used, somebody might've been playing a dvd on it and paused it. If the screen was left on too long with that image, I guess it might've "burned" the image onto the lcd.

Argh, I actually don't know, but I want to who the man with the shades is.

I'm pretty sure I bought it used, but I had used it once or twice after buying it. Perhaps the image is just lightly burnt in and when I used it, the game I was playing over-shadowed it. If you follow.

A little update: I was messing with the screen just a little bit more and have determined that it is beyond my repair. Only 1/4 of it works. Pictured is Kirby 64 without a controller plugged in.
308ehhj.jpg

I think I'm going to trash this one and buy a new one.

Don't trash it, in case you ever end up needing some spare parts. By now, you should try to get a broken motherboards bin that you can throw stuff like this into.

zeturi said:
Don't trash it, in case you ever end up needing some spare parts. By now, you should try to get a broken motherboards bin that you can throw stuff like this into.
Good point. I do have a box full of junk, but what would I need from a PSOne screen?

You never know if it's the fault of the LCD or the PCB. It could be either, though I'm leaning more towards something with the PCB. The LCD is not cracked, the backlight hasn't been messed up, so you'll at least have a spare LCD in case anything goes wrong. You also have two surface-mount 7805's and some assorted caps you can use from the PCB. It also helps to have another PCB for reference every once in a while.

The first most likely answer is the LCD ribbon wire is not making a good connection with the LCD. You can check this by pushing down on the ribbon wire where it is connected to the LCD while the screen is on with a signal. If you can get more of the screen to work then that is the problem. But it is next to impossible to fix.

hailrazer is right, a loose/dirty ribbon cable always does that.

You might want to check for a rip/tear if that doesn't fix your problem.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
hailrazer is right, a loose/dirty ribbon cable always does that.

You might want to check for a rip/tear if that doesn't fix your problem.

SS
That was my first thought.

just bend the ribbon back and forth to see if anything different happens. I bet you just need a new lcd.

Cool, so I determined that the cable was loose. I put two screws in opposite each other in the corners of the screen and now I have full picture! However, I have a few problems: The colors are inverted, the screen is wavy, and motion is really blurry. Thanks so far guys, I'd be lost without you. :)

s6omyd.png

^ SB title screen.

mvsp6f.jpg

^ Paused as Mario on the Hyrule Castle stage.

Last time someone had a problem with color inversion was because their batteries didn't have enough voltage. Check your power supply with a multimeter.

bentomo said:
Last time someone had a problem with color inversion was because their batteries didn't have enough voltage. Check your power supply with a multimeter.
From N64 5v pin -> R/L/V, I get about 3v. Also, I'm not getting any sound. Isn't that what the R/L pins do?

EDIT:Now It's fluctuating between normal and inverted and then freezing after about 30sec.

No, he's talking about how much voltage it getting to your screen. You need at least 7.2v for it to function properly.

OMFGCAPS said:
i concur, too little power, i concur
I concur, that you only wrote that because everyone else wrote that, and you wanted to look like you had any sort of knowledge on the subject and/ or had attempted it yourself, I concur

Back