Decent SMD soldering irons?

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
I've looked before, and just scoured for an hour on the interwebs, but can't find any. The radioshack iron tips work fine with my iron, but I want something with a finer tip so I can start some SMD soldering.

In case someone else uses the same iron as I do, I've got a Weller WSB25HK. It's served me well over this past year in modding, but I just can't find any good tips for it.

EDIT: Yah, see title. Can anyone suggest an iron with small tips for ~$50? I'm a cheapskate, which is why I'm stuck with an arts and crafts iron.

Re: Where do I find new soldering iron tips?

zeturi said:
I've looked before, and just scoured for an hour on the interwebs, but can't find any. The radioshack iron tips work fine with my iron, but I want something with a finer tip so I can start some SMD soldering.

In case someone else uses the same iron as I do, I've got a Weller WSB25HK. It's served me well over this past year in modding, but I just can't find any good tips for it.
You could just splurge and buy a new one for $13.34. It's the best I could find, sorry.It seems that it comes with at least one replacement tip and some gold-colored tip things.

You should have thought of tip availibility before you bought the thing. Also, no way you can get a needle-smd tip for an iron like that.

I use a Weller WP25 which is great. The tip I have is pretty small, small enough for SMD methinks. I think you can get an even smaller tip.

If you are too cheap, though, you could try grinding down the tip. It's been done to varying degrees of success.

XCVG said:
If you are too cheap, though, you could try grinding down the tip. It's been done to varying degrees of success.
it worked for me. just be sure to get it really smooth before you use it. if there are scratches, it will oxidize much faster, and also clings to ashes and stuff. ;)

Yeah, I spent 30 minutes trying to get a good grinding on my iron tip, but it only helped a bit. I think I'll change my title to ask what soldering irons are decent for SMD. XCVG, where do you buy tips for your iron?

Well, if you have an electronics store (a real one, not ratshack) you can probably get Weller irons and tips locally. If not, you can get them off eBay or pretty much any electronics supplier. I bought mine from RP Electronics because it's near me. An american supplier might be better for you. The iron cost me $50 because our dollar was flax at the time, in the US expect to pay $30-$35. The tips are about $7 for me, don't know the american price.

There's a review of the WP25 on the (unfortunately neglected) review site, somewhere.

Back