DcMc's Car Stereo

DcMc

Well, I finally finished my car stereo.
The car is a 2005 Lincoln LS V6.
I bought everything on ebay so I spent about $800 instead of $2000
Did it all myself
Sounds freaking amazing. response is super flat, I had a guy that does prosound stuff for a living check it and tune it.

Specs:

- 2x JBL GT5-15 subs (3 cu foot sealed box)
- JL JX 500/1 amp for the subs
- 4x Infinity Kappa 680.9cs door speakers (2 way speakers w/ passive crossover)
- JL JX 360/4 amp for door speakers (each speaker is 90 watts/2ohms)
- Kenwood DDX-419 head unit
- Sofmodded xbox with 60gb hdd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pictures:

Door Speaker with grille
2qg4ul.jpg

Door Speaker no grille
uZJMFl.jpg

Head unit
nStZWl.jpg

Subs (I'm going to caulk the other driver and carpet the box at some point, I know it's hideous)
mDbHil.jpg

Sub amp
p9Ysml.jpg

Xbox under passenger seat (hooked up to rear AV input on head unit)
Eo1M9l.jpg

Nice job man, boy this takes me back. I used to be quite into car stereo installations when I was younger.

I want to put something besides an Xbox in there. Any other ideas to make use of the front/rear av inputs?

Uhm... I think an xbox pretty much handles it. Those things are versatile as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Looks good man! I agree with geb, the Xbox is pretty ideal in this case unless you just really want a mini PC or something.

One other thing i totally forgot to add. I need a coolimg solution for my amps. Sub amp gets around 140° and main amp gets aroumd 160°. I was thinking pc water cooling parts but with custom water blocks. I dont know how well it would work if it's already hot in the trunk. Btw the main amp is in the trunk with the battery and spare tire and fuses.

Edit: spelling and added last sentence

What temp do amps like those usually run at? If you're for sure outside of the safe range, I would just use some computer fans to cool them. Water cooling just moves the heat away, you'll still need to dissipate it somewhere.

Sub amp is 140ish and main amp is upwards of 160. The main amp has shut off from overheating several times. That may be because its in a closed compartment with the battery and spare tire.

Your exact amp! Sounds like he had similar issues with his, and the fans fixed it. A little bit of airflow will go a long way with something designed to work fanless. You still have the issue of the trunk being closed, but just moving the air over the amp should be enough if you don't live in Phoenix.
Is the main amp under the sub box? I would move it to open air and add fans if still needed.

Now go raid some old desktops!

Awesome! Looks like I have a project tonight. I just wish it wasn't so hot in my trunk. I live in Oklahoma, so it's already really really hot during the summer. But I'll try fans and post what I find.

Back