Custom regulators gettin hot and spicy

gman

I'm almost done with another gamecube portable that I've been working on for too long now, I got the gamecube and the screen running off batteries and custom regulators for 1.9v, 3.3v, and a step up reg to 5v (for disc drive) cause i had it left over and it doesnt need a resistor for 5v. After playing a game for 5 minutes or so, i felt the regulators and the 1.9v regulator is hot. I can touch it and all but its getting to a point where i dont know when i should be concerned. I'm using 24awg wire (single stranded) and all the power lines are doubled up on wire so there is less voltage drop. The gamecube got warm too, but then i made the heatsink be powered off of 5v instead and it is less warm now. How warm should the regulators normally get?

I've often wondered this, my 1.9v reg gets pretty hot too.

You know I bet the pro's like Ashen and Zen that power the CPU and GPU separately have cooler portables because they have two regs that get warmish instead of one reg that gets real hot.

SS

Ashen said:
Yep. Batteries last A LOT longer too. :D
Well you are still using the old grey 2600mah batteries from battery space. I'm using the new orange 2800 mah ones so yeah.

Atleast I'm not the only one with a hot regulator. I looked at the reg data sheet and it says it can go up to 85 celcius and that seems pretty hot to me. The regulator gets hot quickly and i can only put pressure on it for 10 seconds or so.

Unless you bought the special charger for them. Those 2800mah cells are worthless. I get 2:45mins from the pack I build, regulating the cpu and gpu seperate. Plus my flax stays pretty cool.

Re-reading my last statement, I sounded a bit dickish I guess. But that wasnt my intent. I was just trying to push the fact that its totally worth the extra reg to get more playtime. Heck, even just dropping to 1.7v on a single reg for both th gpu and cpu will get you 15-20mins more playtime. Running the cpu @ 1.5 and gpu @ 1.7 will get you 30-40mins more compared to just running a single reg at 1.9v.

Not to mention the fact that having 2 regs will stress them alot less, which is great for heat reduction and system stability in the long run.

Ashen beat me to it. It is as he says. Separate regulation is better in many ways. However if you have a rev c you are out of luck as the inner layers connect gpu and cpu. So only a single 1.7v regulator works.

Don't forget that the cube draws around 6A on the 1.9v line alone. So it's not strange that the regulator gets hot. Be sure you have the 10A version and not the 6A to get it running less heat. Having the regulator run at it's peak will burn it out quicker.

I'm using the 10A one. Your right that running the gpu and cpu at different voltages is better in almost every way, but it's too late for this portable since it's going to be finished this weekend and there are so many wires in it and i havent even wired up the 4 controller ports yet. I'll keep my eye on the heat level when i test it more.

lol! My 1.9v regulator just started outputting 1.36v all of a sudden and the gamecube is still running but with terrible video distortion. I guess it's time to run it off 1.5v and 1.7v now.

this is annoying me why they have all of a sudden started dropping voltages. I have them wired up just like the diagram at shockslayer forums. No caps on the output voltages either. What wire do the pros use? I'm using 2 22awg for each wire.

EDIT: this is weird. The video distortion changes when i move the wiikey/mem card around.

You are experiencing voltage drop problems and the draw is lowering your voltage (I might be wrong on that second statement). In your case, the wire gauge isn't going to help you out a ton.

You need to change the resistor on your regulator to have it output a slightly higher voltage to overcompensate for the draw and lowered resulting voltage.

I experienced this problem with two of my Envision commissions a month ago. It actually caused certain games to run poorly. Ashen, remember when I couldn't get Resident Evil 4 to work? Yeah. Voltage drop was the reason. I put in a slightly lower ohm resister on my 1.7v reg, causing the regulator to output 1.8v instead of 1.7v and the problem was solved.

Well my regulator is outputting 1.3v and it acationally jumps back to normal. Setting it at a higher ohm might be bad i think. I'm going to isolate the problem. I'm gonna wire it up to my tv and maybe something is wrong with my screen. With 1.3v, i dont even see how the cube is still running.

regulator might be messed up. That happens some times. remove the regulator complete and just wire it seperately and test the voltage. if the voltage is still low the regulator is not working properly and it needs to be replaced. if it isn't then the their's something up with your gamecube which is causing the problem.

I dont know what the problem was, but i re heated all of the solder joints for power and video and now its working. Maybe it was just a cold solder joint. It's all good for now thankfully.

gman said:
Well my regulator is outputting 1.3v and it acationally jumps back to normal. Setting it at a higher ohm might be bad i think. I'm going to isolate the problem. I'm gonna wire it up to my tv and maybe something is wrong with my screen. With 1.3v, i dont even see how the cube is still running.

No I said to put in a lower ohm, not higher. With lower ohms, you have less resistance, thus more voltage passes through the resistor. Thus your 1.3v would jump up to a higher voltage, helping the CPU to function properly

Glad you got it working. Be sure to test the voltage readings. If it goes too much below 1.7v, certain games are not going to run properly. One good way to test it out: play Resident Evil 4, and go to the map. If the icons on the map are jumping around everywhere, your CPU needs more volts. I think you will also notice flickering in the background in Smash Bros Melee when the CPU isn't getting enough voltage.

You're actually just supposed to use the correct Ohms based on the reg's specifications, you make it lower, and whatever the actual problem was goes away and suddenly you're put too much voltage and the dolphins begin to float belly up.

SS

Back