CrashBash's Charge and Play Diagram

Ampz

ALL CREDIT GOES TO CRASHBASH AND THOSE NAMED IN THE DIAGRAM

oR7G6LR.png

This doesn't really allow you to play AND charge at the same time or does it? In the OFF position, you can either charge your portable OR play using the AC adapter. In the ON position, you can play from battery power.

Yes it does. You play from say the gc power brick on one and your smart charger charges the battery. There aren't any solutions for this that aren't already super expensive. The circuit here is super cheap.

So to make sure I understand the purpose of this circuit:

0:
Li-Ion=>charge port
DC Power=>console
Li-ion≠>console
1:
Li-ion≠>charge port
DC power≠>console,
Li-ion=>console

Position 0: battery is disconnected from console. Charger port is connected to battery. DC power port connected to console.
Position 1: battery is connected to console. DC power is disconnected from console. Charger disconnected from battery.

Is this correct?

Yes, it's basically the DPDT switch changing the circuit to what you've said above

Dyxlesci said:
Position 0: battery is disconnected from console. Charger port is connected to battery. DC power port connected to console.
Position 1: battery is connected to console. DC power is disconnected from console. Charger disconnected from battery.
You got it.

Would it be possible to somehow make it so if you switch between the two without the system restarting. Or the batteries, you know, exploding?

I think it does I haven't tried out the circuit yet but i'll ask crash and see what he says

The batteries stop charging when the load is switched to them, so if you're running off AC power and you throw the switch (as long as you don't do it unusually slowly) and THEN unplug the AC power, you should be fine.

So if you flip the switch without removing the power cable it won't reset the console?
Example:
Playing metroid prime off battery power. No save room near. Battery running low. Run plug in to wall power. Flip switch to wall power. Will I continue playing uninterrupted or will the console reset?

I'm not promising anything. I've never built a portable.
I think it should be fine in theory, but I have no way of knowing.

I'd like to re-ask the question
C4RB0 said:
Does anyone know of a charge managing board that works with 7.4V battery packs?

I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for the convenience of one.

Back