Crackling audio on Xbox

watsug

Me and my friend went to a car boot sale yesterday and he bought an original xbox. It didn't come with a video cable so I offered to get it working with rca jacks.

I took it home and tested it out with my cables and the audio sound really bad. There's loud crackles. The left line is the worst but the right line also has some crackles.

Thought it might have been the connector or the cable but the sound is all good on my xbox (with the same cable). Also soldered up rca jacks but it didn't make any difference.

IIRC theres a similar problem on gamecubes when the internal amp doesn't get high enough voltage(?)

I looked at my board and nothing seems damaged. I have also softmodded it through hotswap but that shouldn't make a difference right?

I really want to get it working so I can give it back to him...

Maybe there are some shorts in the connector? Have you checked to make sure there isn't continuity between pins where there shouldn't be?

I looked in the connector hole and didn't see anything suspicious. Will try to check continuity tomorrow. Could it be the power supply or a regulator that is giving an uneven voltage?

Never found a solution for this, put it back together but now with composite rca jacks.

Thanks for the help gebby! :)

depending on your stereo you might also try to use the digital output,
I know that there is a optical cable connection possible with a special a/v cable, so it is somewhere in those pins. as far as I know, optical 1/0 signal is the same as the cable digital signal, so maybe that might work for you.

Jelte1234.

Back