Component Cable on DOL-101 GameCube

Blargaman91

I don't know if it's widely known whether the component cable can work on a DOL-101 cube or not, but I can't really find any documentation that confirms anything.
EDIT: I did find some other documentation, with mixed results.
Anyway, here are my findings.

This is the input to the GameCube AV chip (left side):
avendolpinout_zps7ecfbc57.jpg

These are the same data lines that are routed to the digital port on a DOL-001 GameCube. The B012355/B012455 chip in the component cable picks up on them and kind of acts as an alternate AV chip for the Cube to output video.

Seeing as the DOL-101 cube still has the same AV chip and GPU as the DOL-001, it's got to have the same data lines too, right? That it does.

Thus, wiring the component cable directly to those pins of the AV chip on a DOL-101 Cube (note that 27 MHz, LRCK, DATA, and BCLK are not necessary) should make it function like normal. Except the component cable has two other data points:
gcomponentd2.jpg

DetectCable and 54MHz.

Looking closely at what hides in the digital port of a DOL-001 Cube, I've found that those two connections exist elsewhere. They are routed straight to the GPU.
As mentioned before, each GameCube shares the same GPU. So by wiring directly to the GPU...
1087j41.png

...a GameCube component cable should be able to function on any DOL-101 GameCube.

Proof of concept:

34euo3m.jpg

21kxuds.jpg

20ggy10.jpg

23ifc4j.jpg

The Cube displays 480i and 480p as and when expected, like any DOL-001.

There are a couple transistors there in the second picture connected to the GPU as well as ground and 3.3v because there are present on the top side of a DOL-001 motherboard but not a DOL-101. The component cable works without them. No idea what they do, really.

Some of these pictures (diagrams) are owned by Ashen, ZeldaXPro

That's super sexual. Super nice work! I know Megalomaniac tried this at one point without success. You might want to contact him and let him know how you got it working.

It seemed to function without those transistors but I didn't test that in 480p when the Cube uses 54 MHz.

It works without the transistor but only shows 480i. If you want 480p mode you need the transistors connected. At least in my tests thats how it work.

Great work putting everything together :D

hmm... I wonder if we can find a replacement part for those transistors so that we don't have to rob them out of other cubes, we could probably figure out what it does with an oscilloscope

dark_samus said:
hmm... I wonder if we can find a replacement part for that transistors so that we don't have to rob them out of other cubes, we could probably figure out what it does with an oscilloscope
I've thought the same thing about the controller "transistors" since they're easy to lose. It would be nice to have replacements.

Blargaman91 said:
dark_samus said:
hmm... I wonder if we can find a replacement part for that transistors so that we don't have to rob them out of other cubes, we could probably figure out what it does with an oscilloscope
I've thought the same thing about the controller "transistors" since they're easy to lose. It would be nice to have replacements.

Yes it would be nice to have considering I managed to break a couple of legs off of mine :(

Hey guys! I've been following this thread for quite sometime and I have some info you may be interested in. Over on ASSEMbler games, I started a thread asking where we could get these transistors needed for getting 480p on a DOL-101 and a nice person on there said that a M1MA151WAT1 or M1MA151WKT1 from DigiKey might work as replacements. He said he'll have to check again to confirm it.

MonkeyBoyJoey said:
Hey guys! I've been following this thread for quite sometime and I have some info you may be interested in. Over on ASSEMbler games, I started a thread asking where we could get these transistors needed for getting 480p on a DOL-101 and a nice person on there said that a M1MA151WAT1 or M1MA151WKT1 from DigiKey might work as replacements. He said he'll have to check again to confirm it.

Sweet! Now we just need controller transistors and we're set :D

The guy got back to me in the other thread and this is what he had to say:

Just had another look and they are switching diodes. They are marked MO and MU.

The closest match would be M1MA152WAT1 and M1MA152WKT1 respectively.

They are in a slightly larger package than the ones in the GC but I'm not sure what the exact part number is for that package so these are your next best option.

M1MA152WAT1 (MO) should be connected Anode to GND and M1MA152WKT1 (MU) should be connected cathode to 3.3v or 5v, whatever the GC uses on that circuit.

DigiKey has them as surface mount components. You could try those and see if it works.

Back