Cheapest Console to Portable Mod?

Second post here is...
Since i wanted to start console conversions which is the cheapest one so just in case i screw up bad i didnt lose much money from it.
I'm also aware of which one a beginner should start with.

Probably a NOAC.

Maybe a PS2, It depends on what you can get for cheap. I mean you could essentially build one for free if you managed to source your components properly.

The cheapest you can buy; most portables are built from the same core parts: Console, controller, screen, speaker, and battery.

Though replacing a disc drive adds additional expense.

Last edited:
I used to be able to get gamecubes at $5 a piece, miss those days.

any retro SOC consoles would be cheapest though & fairly easy to build.

It's worth noting that something like a raspberry pi handheld would be a pretty cheap route too - depending on the model, they're solid for up to 6th gen emulation, and they're tiny and sip power, and have easy video outs.

the cheapest one would be using one of those plug and play machines adding a screen and some batteries and your done

Don't just think about price, you'll want to do something you'll actually play. Don't do a NOAC if you've never been interested in NES games.

Do one you think you'll enjoy building that way if it doesn't come to fruition at least you still had fun doing it. The way I see it if you had fun trying then you didn't waste a penny and who knows you might find out later down the line you get back in to it and complete it at which point its value will go up tenfold.

Back