charge and play?

zefeldo

I don't fully understand this.

I am looking around and people are saying that you can't just plug in the wall charger or smart charger and play at the same time, something about the charger not being able to tell how empty it is or not.

I've seen this also (stolen from shockslayer, sorry if u get mad)
yup.png

I think it is saying that you HAVE to have two ports, I don't get how this would be to charge and play at the same time if they are different ports so you aren't actually charging and playing at all unless you have two cords sticking out of your system.

Is there a way to have these batteries and a single charger without anything getting messed up?

You need two ports because you need a smart charger for batteries, and a steady power flow for the system.

Well it is possible to have charge & play with the same power brick, laptop style, but you basically need a purpose built charging circuit.

The other thing you could do, is combine a normal power brick and a smart charger into the same box, and use a 4pin connector of some sort as your power connector.

ok so say I have both ports,
If I wanted to shut it off to recharge and play from the cord, could I have the power cord plugged in and go from battery to the power cord instantly by flipping the switch or would i have to power the console down and then plug it in?

That's not necessary.
You could leave it plugged in. However, there will be a short instant without power, but probably not enough to shut off the system. Just be warned.

I've been looking for a 4 pin switching power connector so I can put the charge circuit inside the power brick rather than the portable, there are some dell laptops that look like they might do the trick I found google searching, I've ordered a couple

ShockSlayer said:
9 times out of 10 the console will shut off even if you rapidly flip the switch.
What if you stuck a capacitor in there or something?

ShockSlayer said:
9 times out of 10 the console will shut off even if you rapidly flip the switch.

i think what SS is trying to say is that if you flip the switch from Off to On very fast, it'll cause the gc to shut off, and that is IMO not good :(.

@zefeldo

here's what you can do, when using this charge n play part:

first, play from batts until they run out, then switch over to playing off wallower once batts run out.
and when your not using the system, leave it on the off and have it charge the batts.

ProgMetalMan said:
ShockSlayer said:
What if you stuck a capacitor in there or something?

I was thinking that but I've no idea exactly what to do there. Normally I would consult Herma at this point because well Herma but it's not enough of a big deal to me. It's easiest to build a low battery indicator and just save and reboot. Even people with low level skill can do that, so there's no point.

SS

Should I do this?
36304671.png

I'm just thinking this way so the battery LED won't turn on since the voltage would be lower than the value. also wondering if everyone did this in the first place

Back