Building a 1972 PONG upright arcade cabinet replica

Basement_Modder

He who mods in thy basement.
Will update thread as this goes. Will have (hopefully) an original style (eg all metal and small) coin slot and will, like the original, have a 13" B&W CRT display. (I have had the TV on my workbench for 2 years now, ever since I got it for free from an estate sale down the street.) I have all the dimentions for the cabinet, and will make it with MDF. I am using a Sears "home pong" system that has 2 paddles. Essencially, when it's turned on via a power switch in the back, the home pong won't get power until you put a quarter in, and when the game ends, the reset button will be a NC pushbutton, and reset the entire internal power strip when pressed, forcing you to insert another quarter. I will, of course, have a secret "free play" switch somewhere on the unit, and won't tell my friends about it. ;)

the only semi-difficult part will be building the coin-slot circuit. I think I may just have it cut off power to the controlls until you insirt a coin, just so that the display shows the game when you first turn it on instead of "snow."

it will look like this:
pong.jpg

I wanna finish this thing so I can put it in my room! :awesome:

Joeyjoe9876 said:
For the coin detection you could do what Ben did in his pinball machine with the IR sensors.
That may just work! I never thought of that. I suppose I'll shoot him an email...

Good luck getting a reply from Ben. He rarely ever replies to anything that is sent to him, including requests or commissions.

Update: uploaded picture I took yesterday! :lol:

RCA 13" CRT B&W TV manufactured June 1975. (sticker says so) (took like 3 adapters to hook the GCN up to the RF antenna screws. XD
299fbc84.jpg

(not mine) dimentions for cabinet:
5495799c.jpg

Like most of my crap, I originally got it with the mindset of, "I'll use this someday..."

now I'm glad I did. I have too much crap on my table. See finished projects section. :p

Back