budget PC build

0FLCq.png

651 BUCKS
CHECK 'EM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Less on the Ram and/or HDD gets you a nice 6870.
I have no idea, but it might be better to go for an i5 and nvidia video card.

Just get an i3 and overclock it, should be just fine for gaming. Also an Nvidia GTX460 is just as expensive as the card listed, and it's pretty Dang good. Also, $50 PSU? That doesn't sound right. If you're gonna cheap out on something, don't cheap out on the PSU.

If you can fit it in, I would aim for one of AMD's quad cores, they aren't too spendy.

I recommend over amd a lot, just working with them the intel systems are a lot more stable. Plus more overclockable. Also if you're going to overclock don't get an msi motherboard, they don't like overclocking, I learned that the hard way.

I am an intel lover too. But $650 is $650 and if I go with Intel I have to sacrifice pretty heavily on the other components. This rig probably wont ever be overclocked, so those woes dont really matter. Anyway, its not for me, so what do I care?

But if anyone has recommendations for better parts than what I have there, please ring em out, since im prolly gonna pull the trigger tonight.

Crysis_Warhead_Benchmark.jpg

If you can get the GTX460 for that price, go for it. Corsair makes Dang good PSUs, though, why complain about one of those because of price?

You don't need to buy a CPU cooler; that retail CPU comes with one that's more than good enough for a budget build.

Corsair makes very good power supplies; it's $55 because of a couple rebates.

Definitely go for a quad core over a dual nowadays. There isn't much reason not to.

Here's a GTX 460 for $150. It will be a bit faster than the 460 SE and it's a little cheaper. :awesome:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121390

Scrap that Dual core and go with a Phenom II X4 945.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103675

bentomo said:
Also if you're going to overclock don't get an msi motherboard, they don't like overclocking, I learned that the hard way.

LIES

I have an MSI motherboard and I've had no issues with overclocking ever. Of course, mine IS made for people who plan on overclocking, but still.

Also, very good choice on the CPU cooler if you decide to buy a third-party one. I have one and it performs admirably.

Twilight Wolf said:
bentomo said:
Also if you're going to overclock don't get an msi motherboard, they don't like overclocking, I learned that the hard way.

LIES

I have an MSI motherboard and I've had no issues with overclocking ever. Of course, mine IS made for people who plan on overclocking, but still.

Also, very good choice on the CPU cooler if you decide to buy a third-party one. I have one and it performs admirably.
I havent actually decided whether I am gonna put that CPU cooler on this PC or mine. I will decide when I figure how good the stock is.

I don't understand the obscession with aftermarket coolers. Most of them are crap and perform worse than the stock one. Stock coolers used to be garbage, but times have changed. I'm running a stock cooler on my Q8200 and it is quiet and cool. From what I've heard, you can even overclock on stock air in some cases. For $650, don't bother with an aftermarket heatsink.

Anyway, here's the one I did. The cheap case is just for the motherboard tray and maybe the drive cages. Mount it on piece of wood and run it open air. It's actually a bit cheaper if you factor in mail in rebates. meaning you can afford a proper case if you choose

34oxd8m.jpg

amd is generally the cheaper solution, so good for you! are you going to factor in shipping because for us here up north (canada), 650$ plus tax and shipping is 800$

Considering the OP is from the US, and this thread is because they personally need a PC, its unlikely shipping to a different country is a factor.

Zero said:
Considering the OP is from the US, and this thread is because they personally need a PC, its unlikely shipping to a different country is a factor.
Wasnt for me, but yeah. Not to mention its already built and gone. And the fact that Canada is a lie.

Basically the last build I posted. Unlocked to quad, overclocked to 3.7, overclocked the gtx 460 quite a bit. Win 7 ultimate. Profit in my pocket.

Back