Big screen trimming guide [PAL] [unfinished] [56k]

Kyo

I guess I will post this here as well, as I work on my guide. It's not finished, and this is the second iteration. If you want to see the original stuff, and some fighting between me and bacteria you can go to this thread:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27919
but now for the guide, so far:
Alright; I will redo the first part of the guide as well because I feel like it. I need to redo the trimming work anyway.

Let's start with chapter 2,3 (I'll rework the pinout chapter tomorrow or somethin' I don't know, it's getting dark here so I can't take pictures without flash anymore)

Chapter 1: Pinouts
769254_reloc24.jpeg

805236_reloc25.jpeg

(this ended up being a bit confusing. I'll redo it later in anything but paint)

Chapter 2: before we start
Got your screen ready? Ok. Good.
554904_reloc1.jpg

I strongly recommend protecting the LCD with something (I used the plastic from the original screen) - you'll be looking at the back of the board a lot and always taking it off first gets old soon. You don't want your precious screen to get scratched to Heck, so cut out a square from a plastic bag and temporarily tape it to the screen.

Now, while you trim the board, it is suggested to ALWAYS test it after and before each step, so you will need some kind of signal that you can send to the screen. You can also use your playstation until you trim off the bottom, for convenience. Either way, make sure to always sufficiently test it. If it doesn't work, make sure you followed everything right and that you didn't short anything out and didn't cut any traces and didn't damage any components. If you did, relocate the traces and try to replace the components.
Chapter 2: The right side
This is the easiest part, you need to reconnect two wires. One is ground, the other one is some trace that leads to a component at the bottom of the screen, on the front, but you can just connect it to 7.5V. Confused? Don't worry, I'll explain it better later on.

Did you test your screen? Do it.
884467_reloc2.jpg

Remove the LCD. (Remove the power first - never do anything with the power still on.)
159742_reloc3.jpg

Make sure to close the brown thingie again. BE GENTLE! It breaks very easily. Disconnect the plug with the pink & white wire on the top as well.
So how much can we cut?
711673_reloc4.jpeg

Yellow: Easy mode. Pretty much impossible to screw up
Orange: Medium. Still pretty easy, but be careful not to cut too close, you'll just end up destroying something.
Red: Still entirely possible with just two relocations. It's unnecssary to cut off this much, though. I wouldn't do it unless you really need to for some reason. Of course you can cut anywhere between the lines as well. I'd recommend not cutting open the hole for the LCD ribbon, though. Leave that intact if possible at all.

200068_reloc5.jpg

See these components connected to the silver pads? They don't do flax. You'll probably destroy them during the trim job, and it doesn't matter one bit.

Let's do the orange one
662527_reloc6.jpg

754121_reloc7.jpg

367356_reloc8.jpg

Lookin' good. But Now we need to reconnect some stuff.
557505_reloc9.jpg

See this thing at the upper end of the trace we just cut through? We need to reconnect it.
If you want to be a goodie two shoes, AND aren't going to trim the bottom, then you can connect it here:
808507_reloc10.jpg

That's where the trace lead to, before we slaughtered it. BUT, it's much easier and will work fine to just connect it to 7.5V (a good point for this is the first lead of either 7805 on the board):
522119_reloc11.jpg

That it? Nope. We split the grounds. We need to reconnect them before the screen will work again. If you look below the right side of the transformer, you will see a solder pad for a missing component:
692622_reloc12.jpg

Connect this solder pad to the ground on the other side - Namely down here near the LCD ribbon hole:
218285_reloc13.jpg

And that's it! Your LCD should be working again, regardless of yellow, orange or red path.

Did someone say red path?
603486_reloc18.jpeg

278550_reloc19.jpeg

Chapter 3: The left side
Not much trimming to do here, but at least it requires no relocation. This is the big part sticking out.
774929_reloc20.jpeg

116836_reloc21.jpeg

This should all be pretty self-explanatory. I recommend going with orange, i.e. medium here.
155221_reloc22.jpeg

917851_reloc23.jpeg

Don't forget to test the screen!

Chapter 5: The top
If you're not going to LED-mod the screen
Again, we have easy & advanced mode. Easy mode being pretty much impossible to screw up, and advanced mode being not that hard either, but requires care not to cut through anything.
442915_reloc14.jpeg

817407_reloc15.jpeg

Yellow: Easy
Orange: Medium
Red: if you need it.

My recommendation here is yellow or orange. Anything else is overkill. You'll probably only need yellow, if at all.
791614_reloc16.jpeg

555844_reloc17.jpeg

Two worlds, one motherboard.

Putting this in the Screen MegaSticky. Glad to see you around here, Kyo.

-jjhammerstein from BH

Thanks. Still need to write the bottom guide, but I've been getting a bit lazy :p

You're not the boss of me! I'M MAKING MY OWN FORUM! With hookers! And blackjack! In fact, forget the forum!

Are there any significant differences between PAL and NTSC PSOne screens? As in, would this work relatively the same on an NTSC board?

Sweet. Awesome guide so far, by the way. I can already see smaller portables becoming more and more common :)

NO SUCH THING

Btw, there is a guide for trimming the bottom already (for ntsc even), so no reason to wait for me to finish - I don't know if it's on modretro a well but it's on my site

Sort of an update;

As a preparation for my LED-modding guide (which is needed for the removal of the top of the screen), I have written a guide on ben's brightness hack for both pal and NTSC:
http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=85

Maybe I will continue the cutting guide tomorrow. Kinda busy with exams.

Kyo you rock. That is all.

But seriously, thanks for the guide. I'll be able to do a very nice portable because of this.

You're welcome. I really gotta finish this, though. There's more screen cutting stuff by other people on my site.

Something I've done in the past when I haven't done the LED mod is that you can quite easily remove that transformer and connector at the bottom and put it elsewhere. It's dead simple to wire up and when dealing with portables no higher than the screen, saves you a few extra cm. Well worth including in your guide if you've still got a PSone screen lying around to photograph (I haven't)

Yeah, I got tons. I've just been busy, not dead but busy. I have vacation soon, let's see what happens.

Back