Battery Solutions

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
-Taken from a discussion topic

I really, really recommend NOT using those crappy clip-on gamecube batteries.

1. They are not "official" by any means.
2. They are 3rd party make-a-quick-buck garbage, so cheaply made.
3. They usually go along with those crappy screens, a hand-in-hand gesture for portable failure.
4. They DO take forever to charge.
5. They get really hot when charging.
6. They get really hot when being used.
7. They are large.
8. They are heavy, at least, by portable battery standards.

That said, number one piece of advice when it comes to battery solutions for, well, any portables:
Do it right the first time.

What does that mean?

1. Do your Dang research.
- If you don't look around for yourself first, no one is going to take you seriously. Nobody wants to tell you that the sky is blue when you could've just looked up in the sky and seen it for yourself.
- For gamecubes, battery choice revolves around willingness to build a custom regulator or not. Do that, and get to use smaller batteries with lower voltages. Don't? Use the original regulator, and use (usually) bigger batteries with higher voltages.

2. Talk to people who know what they are doing. (See: Step 1)
- Nothing quite like an expert's opinion to get you headed in the right direction.
- But don't PM them, because they don't want to answer the same question 50 times when you could just:
- Make a thread to ask your questions.

3. Don't buy things because they look good or they are cheap.
- If it's too good to be true, it probably is. We've experienced this already, don't make the same mistakes.
- Rushing out and buying something without research and thinking is stupid and a waste of money.
- Also, don't be stubborn and say we're wrong and this is a good deal because we did the same thing and it kicked our ass and stole our wallet.

4. Good batteries are expensive.
- You will never regret spending a bunch on batteries if you buy something that's quality.
- They are probably going to cost more than anything else in your portable. And then there's the $20 charger, too.
- Batteryspace.com is a good place to go, it's where I get mine and where I send everyone that needs batteries.

5. Do your math.
- Basically; more watt hours = more battery life.
- Volts times Amps equals Watts / V*A=W
- You can know your battery life before you buy, good folks like zenloc have recorded all the draws and the like for the gamecube, so you can plug that all in and figure it out.
- For example: Console takes 20 watts an hour. Batteries are 60 watt hours. Therefore, 3 hours of gameplay with just console. More or less depending how hard you work said console. You also gotta factor in things like screen, audio amp, fans, other doohickeys. Those are mostly documented too, if not, guesstimate and round up, to be safe.

6. Build a low battery indicator.
- It's worth it. Trust me on this one.
- Link in the below link.

7. Get a good handle on how powering things works.
- That and more useful info found here.

And that's Battery Solutions.

SS

Back