Battery Shorted, Charge or Discharge?

rebreok

Alright so due to a very dim mistake on my part, one of my three LiPo batteries was floating about in a bin of other components, the leads shorted and there was a rather bright orange light. Now, I had all three batteries completely charged prior to this, but now I have 2 charged batteries and one dead battery. Should I hook them back up to the charge circuit and charge them all, or discharge them? I feel like if I try to charge them, then the other 2 will get overcharged and bad things will happen, but at the same time if I try to discharge them I'll overdischarge the third one and make it permanently damaged. Help?

K

I'm pretty sure that if charged together, they should all begin with approximately the same charge. I'd be very wary of the shorted battery though. Also, if you discharge, make sure to do it safely and correctly.

Do nothing together until they are all at a similar state of charge.
How dead is the dead battery (voltage)? How long did the short last? If it lasted long enough to drain the battery, you're lucky your house didn't burn down.

ProgMetalMan said:
I'm pretty sure that if charged together, they should all begin with approximately the same charge. I'd be very wary of the shorted battery though. Also, if you discharge, make sure to do it safely and correctly.

"safely and correctly" see, that's the bit that isn't immediately obvious. I only have the PCB to charge/discharge three at a time, so to do it through that would require either over discharging or over charging, unless you have a single-battery alternative.

vskid3 said:
Do nothing together until they are all at a similar state of charge.
How dead is the dead battery (voltage)? How long did the short last? If it lasted long enough to drain the battery, you're lucky your house didn't burn down.

Well it was being transferred from one location to another, hence everything was in one bin. And I have yet to actually check the voltages again, but it's been a couple months. do you think it's possible they've all leveled out by now?

Alright, so I just tested the battery, it's at 4.1v -- the same as the other two. I'm going to give it a shot running the screen and see if it's still alive.

aaaand my CMB is dead. Does anyone have a fried one of these they can let go cheap? It's one of the IC's that needs replacing, and all six of them are identical.

Back