battery drain, best solution

greetings, gents. I created a Nintendo 64 using the systm style set up, which relies on a battery pack taken form a Polaroid PDV 0700, consisting of 2 3.7v batteries in the picture below:
wooothooot

(http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78 ... 0062-1.jpg)

my problem is that on a full charge, i only get about 50 minutes of use out of them. i was thinking i could get two more batteries and hook those in parallel, but i thought i would consult you if this was normal to begin with, and if that is the best action to take.

below is a time-table i made (in semi-legible haste) of the time that i began testing (12:21), the voltage while having the system and PS1 LCD turned on, and the condition of the screen (good, failing, failed). the test stops at 1:08 when the screen goes black from insufficient power (however the N64 continues to work). this was done off a full charge:
wooothooot

(http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78 ... 0065-1.jpg)

the little side note there says "flickering around 1:00"

any help would be appreciated, thank you!

yikes. it makes me sad that people are trying things off of that evil tutorial.

anywho, we cant really tell you if thats right or not unless we know tha capacity of the batteries. any idea how big they are?

samjc3 said:
yikes. it makes me sad that people are trying things off of that evil tutorial.

anywho, we cant really tell you if thats right or not unless we know tha capacity of the batteries. any idea how big they are?

ha, it was an alright tutorial i guess. as for the capacity, im fairly certain it's 4200 mAh (there are marker streaks over it)

if its 4200 mah, and you are only getting 50 minutes, either something is messed up, or your screen is a huge power hog.

as for the quality of the tutorial, its not so much the quality as the fact that most of the stuff in that is info from BH/MR and there is no credit given.

samjc3 said:
if its 4200 mah, and you are only getting 50 minutes, either something is messed up, or your screen is a huge power hog.

as for the quality of the tutorial, its not so much the quality as the fact that most of the stuff in that is info from BH/MR and there is no credit given.

well the screen is just a ps1 screen with standard 7v power, so im pretty sure that's fine. where might this messup occur? a short somewhere?

hmm. with an unmodded psone screen, and a plain ol n64, you should get like 3 hours.

very strange

i cant think of any way it would be shorted and still work.

samjc3 said:
you should get like 3 hours.
thats what the tutorial said :sweat:

now that i think about it, i suppose it's probably a capacitance problem with the batteries; is there an efficent way to measure it? i have a feeling that the marks on the packs may be more than just marks...

The batteries might be really old and may start dying on you, holding much less charge than they used to.

Back