Batteries

I like t Hu oz Panasonic. But with 4 of them , a pub , and a charger , you're looking at over $70.

Nope, you just need 7.4v and 3.3v. The batteries output 7.4v which will power your screen as well as the 12v line on the N64. It doesn't actually need 12v; whatever you supply will be stepped down to 5v (supposedly you can remove the regulator and supply 3.3v to the 12v line, but that's a totally different topic). As for the 3.3v line, head to the N64 megasticky and look at "supplying 3.3v to your N64." You simply need a small regulator from TI that will step down the 7.4v from your battery to 3.3v.

So, to recap:
Battery 7.4v --> screen
Battery 7.4v --> N64 12v line
Battery 7.4v --> TI Reg 3.3v --> N64 3.3v line

WARNING: DO NOT supply anything greater than 3.3v to the 3.3v line and DO NOT bridge the 12v and 3.3v lines at all costs. This will FRY your motherboard, guaranteed.

OK, so a 12 volt battery will work, but what about charging it? Ive seen a link for a charging circuit, but I am not sure if it was just for that battery or if it will work for any kind of rechargeable battery.

I wouldn't advise using a 12v battery. Li-ion and Li-po batteries run in multiples of 3.7v, so two cells will give us the 7.4v we need to run everything. A 12v battery is likely Ni-mh or similar and that's not convenient for a multitude of reasons. I highly suggest you use the suggested set above as it has everything you need and more for a really low price. No other combination of parts is going to be that affordable or have the same capacity. If you use a 12v battery you'll need a totally different kind of charger and you will have to use a different resistor in the ti Reg to get 3.3v.

Is it possible to extend battery life by wiring up two sets of batteries inn parallel? One set in series to get the 7.4 volts, the other as well, but both sets wired in parallel with each other?

Back