Audio quit working

Crazy Inventor

So I went to (finally) finish my portable Saturday and I need to test the audio before I plugged in the speakers. It's not working anymore even though it worked when I first hardwired the cable to the board. I checked grounding and connections, but nothing is broken. It's a Rev. C.

Any ideas?

Pictures please? Pictures would be awesome... I think I know what the problem is, but it could be something different.... But seriously, pictures.

Yeah, pictures would help. Is it wired to the AV port? Most of the time you can't pull audio or video straight from it, you need to pull them from the filtering caps.

Yeah it's wired to the A/V port, ripped it off and soldered. It worked with audio and video and now only video works.

And pictures; give me about an hour. I find it much easier to use upload them from my phone and it died at school.

Solder to these points:
Capacitorexplanation.jpg

Here the pics. I'm holding up cardboard(my insulation), the ground was run on top because i couldn't get them in the pad.
Svesx.jpg

k1Gbe.jpg

Gr27V.jpg

Like I said before, just pull audio from the caps Nuke posted. On every cube I have ever opened, which is like 6 or 7, I have never been able to get a signal from the AV port. Not audio, or video, but I can always pull them from the caps as shown above. I know Kasar's guide shows to wire it up to the AV port, but there have been many discoveries since that thing was written, and you should just pull it from the caps. It's so much easier.

Yeah... :lol: This was when I used a really thick tip for my iron and I'd just started the portable.

But hey, It was like my third soldering job to the board and I got video andaudio, for whatever period of time that worked. I'm learning. :D

I'll post if when I fix the audio, but it won't be till next week because my school band is having a field trip that won't be back till sunday.

For when you get you get back:

FIX THAT SOLDERING JOB. Its just begging for shorts, bridges, and cave trolls.

Then do the sound fix:

Picture2-1.png

Sound fix is done by connecting a wire from the 5v pin of the power pins to the little capacitor shown in the above diagram.

Ashen's explanation of sound fix:
AudioPowerRelocation.jpg

If it still doesn't work, then wire in your filtering caps for L and R audio. This is sometimes the problem. Wire them in series with L and R (meaning, L output goes through the cap and then to your speaker, same with R)
Capacitorexplanation.jpg

If it still doesn't work. Test your audio on the actual pins of the AV chip on pins 1 & 4
AlmostWTF-OMGWTFAudioVideoRelocation.jpg

If it still doesn't work. Remove the on board audio amp (shown in the above pic, although some mobos will have a bigger amp chip, but you can still remove it).

If it STILL doesn't work, you have fried the audio lines and you probably need a new board. You can try doing an AV chip swapout but you are not experienced enough to pull this off (you mentioned this being your second or third time soldering). You can get mobos online for pretty cheap so just buy a new one if it still won't work.

Because nobody updates them. I was working on it, but IRL and laziness got into the way, not to mention the fact that it's remarkably tedious.

Crazy Inventor said:
How do I connect the diode with a Rev. C GC?

That part of the board looks identical on rev c, just follow the diagram. Or that link joey posted.

Does someone know the two audio out filter cap specs?
It seems I blasted mine too. (at least I can see signal in the positive leg, but not in the negative one)

On their top it says:
PZ

Any ideas?

edit:Forgot to mention that the red wire audio fix worked flawlessly, but I still am curious about the caps :p

Back